Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
The Los Angeles Times has an opening for a talented and energetic photo editor for our news desks.
This editor’s main focus will be handling A and California sections for both print and online, along with being the point person for national and foreign stories and projects. Primary duties include being part of the visual team by initiating and developing photo ideas, coaching photographers and editing images for multiple platforms of the Los Angeles Times. The successful candidate is imaginative and can inspire and educate others, push boundaries and take visuals to their highest potential.
- Conceptualize, assign and produce high-end, refined photography for news sections
- Works on all aspects of day-to-day photography including handling photo requests, editing and publishing still images for both print and online
- Partner with photo/video journalists to develop sophisticated visuals that surprise and inspire our readers
- Collaborate across departments and build relationships
- Create dynamic visual coverage in print and in the rapidly evolving digital environment as well as support the demands of social media that promotes the team’s work
- Minimum of five years of experience as a photo editor
- High level of professionalism at all times
- Strong photo editing skills
- Excellent news judgment
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Expertise in technical skills including proficiency in Photoshop
- Highly organized and able to work on simultaneous projects and/or tasks in a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent communicator with people in and outside the newsroom
- Strong mentoring, leadership and collaborative skills
- Extensively skilled at problem solving
- Knowledge of journalism ethics and copyright issues
- May appear on TV and radio on behalf of the L.A. Times and represent the organization at conferences, seminars, professional meetings and employer-sponsored events
The position is classified as Photo Editor and is included in the Los Angeles Times Guild and is based in El Segundo, Calif. Occasional weekend and night shifts are expected.
Qualified candidates should apply via the link and be sure to upload a resume, cover letter and work samples to Director of Photography Calvin Hom. Please note, the opportunity to attach additional documents appears on the third screen, and is labeled “Upload.”
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.