Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner-Medicine, Full Time3126004
The Department of Medicine Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner is a member of the inpatient General Medical Service team. The PA/NP is responsible for assisting attending physicians in the medical management of patients assigned to the PA/NP service and to also work in the context of an integrated team which includes residents, medical students, and attendings.
The PA/NP works closely with the physician and nursing staff to develop and coordinate a plan of care designed to meet the physical, psychological and social needs of patients and their families. Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills are required. Knowledge of current literature and a commitment to continued learning are also required. The mission, vision and core values of the Brigham and Women’s/Faulkner Hospital (BWFH) are incorporated into all areas of practice.
As a member of the PA/NP team, each PA/NP shall be responsible for the following duties:
Inpatient Clinical Duties
• Collaborate with all teams in admission of inpatients to BWFH.
• Assist hospitalist and primary care attending physicians on daily patient rounds to monitor patient care and formulate treatment plans.
• Write daily progress notes.
• Implement attending physician instructions for patient management in close cooperation with nursing staff.
• Perform procedures within the PA/NP scope of practice and as directed by the attending.
• Order and interpret appropriate laboratory testing and other special examinations as requested.
• Serve as a resource to the health care team for patient care issues.
• Collaborate with care coordinator for all patient care referrals.
• Prepare succinct and accurate sign-out to facilitate the smooth transition of patient care from one PA/NP to another PA/NP or physician.
• Assist in the planning and implementation of discharging patients.
Work collaboratively and function as an efficient member of the health care team.
• Assist in the coordination of consultation of other sub-specialists involved in the care of PA/NP patients.
• Provide education to patients and families.
• Document in the medical record as appropriate and communicate observations/findings with attending physicians.
• Monitor environment of care and comply with regulatory agency standards.
• Ensure that his or her clinical practice is consistent with physician assistant and or APRN policies, procedures and standards.
• Participate in QA/QI projects as appropriate.
About Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 162 bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
• Must have successfully completed a Graduate Level, accredited Physician Assistant Program approved by AMA Board of Approval and Certification of PA programs.
• Must have 4 years of college level education and baccalaureate degree or equivalent. (BS/MS joint programs are also acceptable; BS with PA certificates are acceptable for graduates before 1995).
• Board Certification by the National Commission on Certification of PA/NPs is required.
Completion of a master’s or post master’s degree in acute care, adult or family NP program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC).
• Current certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or an equivalent body.
• Current active licensure to practice in the expanded role in the state of Massachusetts.
• One year of relevant full time experience as a PA/NP in this specialty, preferred.
• Other previous Hands on patient care experience may be considered at the discretion of the Medical Director.
• NCCPA/NP certified.
• License as a Physician Assistant in Massachusetts.
• Maintain current DEA and Massachusetts Controlled Substance Licenses.
• Complete 100 hours of CME according to national and state regulations during each 2 year period of employment.
• NP must have current Massachusetts Registered Nurse Licensure/ Advanced Practice.
• NP Certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers required.
• NP must maintain updated continuing education requirement for certification and licensure.
• Maintain current ACLS certification.
• Complete BWFH Professionalism Program within 3 months of date of hire.
• Complete BWFH Procedural Sedation Training, if determined necessary.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employee’s protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.BWFH Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital Main02130Nursing-Other