Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 20,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is a 122-bed, general acute care community hospital located in Torrington, Connecticut, that serves as a regional health care resource for the 100,000 residents of Litchfield County and Northwest Connecticut. CHH offers personalized attention from an expert team of caregivers and physicians that utilize advanced technology and clinical partnerships in a convenient, safe and comfortable patient environment.
Definition of a physician assistant (PA):An exempt position responsible for practicing medicine with physician supervision including conducting examinations and writing prescriptions. Within physician-physician assistant (PA) relationship, PA’s exercise autonomy in medical decision making and provide a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services. May practice in several primary care areas including family medicine, internal as well as surgery and surgical subspecialties. May include responsibilities for education, research and administrative services.
1. Conducts physical exams, assesses health status, orders and interprets tests, prescribes medications, and treats illnesses including giving injections and suturing wounds. Consults with physicians as needed and refers to physicians for more complicated medical cases or cases that are not a routine part of PA’s scope of work.
2. Monitors therapies and provides continuity of care.
3. Triages patient calls and evaluates patient problems. Responds to emergencies including the use of CPR.
4. Counsels patient/family on preventive health care.
5. Documents patient information and care I medical record.
6. Performs other assigned tasks to assist management and employees and support co-workers.
7. Displays and upholds CHH core values of dignity, compassion, service excellence, community and integrity. Consistently demonstrates caring for patients, for one another, and for the organization they are part of, and contributes to building trust, pride and camaraderie.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL REQUIREMENTS, AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES
Internal and external contact with all necessary parties. Handles multiple priorities, independent discretion/decision making, manages stress appropriately, works alone effectively, works in close proximity to others and/or in a distracting environment, works with others effectively. Attends all mandatory education programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety and regulatory compliance. Attends all required department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to department safety and specific job‑related hazards. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens. Attire is professional, neat, clean, and appropriate for the work environment. Wears proper identification while on duty. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times, as observed by peers and management. Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance. Attends a minimum of two staff meetings, reads minutes for all staff meetings, and participates in committees as required. ACLS preferred.