Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward")is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc.is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Physician Assistant is a member of the General Surgical team which is made up of several surgeons, Physician Assistants and Surgical Residents. The PA will function under the direction and supervision of a physician. The Physician Assistant provides high quality, cost-effective patient care by performing surgical preparation procedures, peri-operative and post- operative procedures and medical management. The AP will assist in performing surgical and other procedures.
- Perform detailed histories and physical exams, review patients medical records, order laboratories studies, radiological and diagnostic studies appropriate to patient's complaint, age, sex, race and physical condition.
- Participate in daily multidisciplinary rounds, record appropriate and accurate daily progress notes.
- Provide patients and families with pre-operative and other pertinent education. They will answers questions regarding surgery, recovery and risk factor modification, procedures.
- Arrange for hospital admission and discharge at the direction of the supervising physician
- Perform or assist in the following procedures as allowed per medical staff privileges:
- Incision and drainage wounds
- PICC line placements
- Post pyloric feeding tube placement
- Endotracheal Tube Intubation
- Central Line placement internal jugular, Subclavian and femoral vein cannulation
- Dialysis Catheter Placement
- Arterial Puncture
- Foley Catheter Insertion
- Radial Artery Cannulation
- Emergent Decompression of Tension Pneumothorax including insertion of thoracovent catheter
- Current BLS and ACLS certification.
- Massachusetts license to practice as a Physician Assistant
- DEA / Massachusetts Control Substance licensure
- Graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant Program.
- One year experience in a surgical program preferred.