Hybrid Insight Director (Boston)
As a member of the Design Strategy Team, you will work across Fidelity Labs internal startups. Startup teams dig into challenging, ambiguous, human-centered problems that you might not immediately associate with the investment world, but which are on the forefront of where finance, technology, work, currency, health, global business, and data intersect. You will be charged with building our hybrid insight practice as an individual contributor and coach, experimenting with how we combine stories and data to build new products and businesses.
The Design Strategy team is part of Fidelity Labs that started in 2005. It has strong executive support—often, the startups read-out to the CEO and chair of Fidelity Investments. You will not only have the chance to work with team mates from leading schools and design firms but also with partners such as the Stanford d.school, MIT Media Lab, IDEO, and Institute for the Future. Team members say they love working at Fidelity Labs because they can sink their teeth into tricky problems, have balanced lives, and continue to hone their craft in a collaborative and supportive environment.
See what the team is up to at FidelityLabs.com
The Expertise We’re Looking For
- Have 8+ years experience in Quantitative Research and/or User Testing
- Background working on multiple projects at a design, tech, or innovation firm
- Experience working across the product life cycle from early exploratory research through launch and maintenance
- The ability to design and execute quantitative research using a number of methods based on project goals and timelines (e.g segmentation, concept testing, and A/B testing, etc.)
- The ability to design and execute usability testing at scale (e.g. first click tests, unmoderated qualitative tests, etc.)
- Demonstrable experience managing the research process end-to-end (e.g. survey design, data analysis, interpretation and reporting)
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees in a social science, design, HCI or mathematics
- At least 5 years experience leading a research practice and mentoring junior team members
- Experience working within an Agile environment with startup teams
- Is considered a thought leader in the community able to write and speak on user research best practices and trends
The Purpose of Your Role
You will support multiple startups by conducting survey and large-scale usability studies, as well as continuously investigating new best-in-class research tools and socializing best practices within the team. The Hybrid Insights Director is charged with ensuring the broader Design Strategy team has access to robust quantitative and user testing tools and training.
The Skills You Bring
- Ability to help stakeholders understand research options and best practices in order to plan quantitative research that meets project goals.
- Synthesis expertise – ability to get to the “so what,” actionable insights, key frameworks, and opportunity areas from research so the whole team can move forward
- Experience with
- Quantitative research methods
- User testing at scale
- Working in Agile
- Coaching researchers to help them grow
- Survey building and analysis tools (e.g. Qualtrics, SPSS)
The Value You Deliver
- Help the team see the human side of every conversation
- Help the team engage with research best practices and learn new tools
- Help the team draw insights from the user research and get why it’s so important
- Help the team see where, when, and why to use quantitative methods
- Help Fidelity Labs build a multi-modal user research practice
How Your Work Impacts the Organization
Our greatest inspiration will come from outside our walls; our customers hold the opportunities in their hearts, in their minds, and in their guts. They need people like you to interpret their needs from between the lines of what they say. You and your team will develop new services and products that help people achieve their goals.
About Fidelity Labs
At Fidelity Labs, we use emerging technologies and human-centered design to create visionary products and services that improve people’s financial lives. As the innovation engine for Fidelity Investments, we provide expertise to the rest of the firm on new tools and techniques, while also incubating potential new lines of business.
For more information about working at Fidelity Labs, visit FidelityLabs.com/jobs
At Fidelity, we are focused on making our financial expertise broadly accessible and effective in helping people live the lives they want. We are a privately held company that places a high degree of value in creating and nurturing a work environment that attracts the best talent and reflects our commitment to our associates.