The Pitmaster/Meatcutter is responsible for the training of our pit and meat operations and monitoring and managing the overall quality of our smoked meats. Responsibilities include food quality management, training, proficiency in using our smoker management tools, safety and sanitation practices, working to ensure best food cost and food waste in the pit department and execution of brand excellence through the highest quality barbecue available.
Essential Job Functions:
- Has a complete understanding of all meats, seasonings, smoking procedures, cleaning, and portioning procedures.
- Sets up, stocks and organizes workstation at the beginning of the day.
- Sets levels for production of food items.
- Cuts and prepares food items. Portions food items and stores them in proper containers.
- Uses knives, measuring ladles, scoops, scales, can opener, or other kitchen equipment, tools or utensils.
- Checks stock levels in coolers for sufficient stock.
- Maintains proper food storage temperatures and rotation, using FIFO Method.
- Performs other duties in all areas of the kitchen as needed.
- Understands and can easily discuss all quality identifiers of our meats.
- Can identify food items, produce, meats, cheeses, sauces, and prepared food.
- Ensures smoked meats are properly prepared, processed, and plated during shifts.
- Knows cooking times for all items to ensure correct doneness.
- Organizes items for preparation in order to ensure accuracy of items ordered.
- Prepares menu items, paying attention to plate presentation and garnish of each plate.
- Comprehends all productions sheets and tools as they pertain to the pit department and can use them in daily operations as well as training situations.
- Works directly with chef when new products and procedures are implemented in our pit stations to ensure clarity and consistency.
- Works directly with employees to teach and train all of our pit and meat station specifications.
- Ensures that specifications for our pit and meat stations are not deviated from.
- Sets a standard of personal appearance that shows pride in the position and instills that pride to other employees.
- Ensures cleanliness of pit stations, meat stations, CVAP’s, slicers, and meat coolers are all kept compliant to health Department standards
- Cleans and sanitizes workstation during the day and at the end of the day.
- Correctly sets up, operates, breaks down and cleans all equipment.
- Follows sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of Kitchen area.
- Understands smoker operating and cleaning procedures and ensures that smokers are kept in top condition and smoking at correct temperature.
- Understands CVAP operating procedures and ensures they are kept clean and are set at correct operating levels.
- Understands slicer operation, safety, maintenance, and ensures that these standards are followed.
- Performs routine inspections of pit, meat, and meat cooler areas monitoring of general cleanliness and facility care.
- The Pitmaster may have the opportunity to assist the chefs and Local Owners at off premise caterings and events. When that is the case, professional appearance, demeanor, and execution of our product are critical to assist in successful presentation.
- Handles multiple priorities, works under stress, and exercises good judgment when dealing with guest situations and complaints.
Factors Important for Successful Performance in this Position:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A professional appearance and professional demeanor is essential.
- Following established procedures in an efficient manner.
- Cooperating with other employees to meet the demands of the kitchen.
Experience and Educational Requirements
A high school diploma is desired, but not required. Experience with general kitchen techniques and equipment is required.
Physical Requirements (Reasonable Accommodations may be requested)
Performs duties that require bending, lifting, reaching and turning. Transports items and containers (weighing up to 50 lbs.) to and from stock and kitchen locations. Is able to stand up to 8 hours or longer if needed.
Additional requirements include:
- Standing and Walking 100% of the time
- Lifting up to 80 pounds to waist high
- Lifting up to 30 pounds to shoulder high
- Carrying up to 80 pounds for short distances
- Constant exposure to heat
- Bending and reaching from under the counter (5 inches above the ground) to 6 feet above the ground with at least one arm
- Climbing ladder and step stool
- Dexterity required for handling food items and dishes.
NOTE: The duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.