JOB TITLE: PLANT BUYER
Purchase the highest quality products to generate profitable sales, strengthen our brand within the marketplace and fulfill our customer’s needs and desires. Works collaboratively within a buying team and also with affiliated teams, such as selling, marketing and merchandising to ensure a continual flow of the right products, at the right time, in the right quantities and at the lowest acquisition cost. Contribute to and execute a strategic merchandise plan, both in-store and on-line that is consistent with the company’s goals.
- Ensure a continual in-stock position on the products the customer wants, when they want them.
- Develop, implement and use best practices for buying and inventory management, including product replenishment, order management, vendor management, promotions, pricing, etc.
- Study sales records and inventory levels to support purchasing and inventory management decisions.
- Manage inventory within company guidelines, such as Open-to-Buy, margin, accounting terms, exclusivity and product contracts.
- Keep up to date on and communicate changes affecting supply and demand.
- Communicate timely product information all sales staff.
- Maintain professional relations with all suppliers or potential suppliers and avoid the potential for any conflict of interest.
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Other job functions and responsibilities as determined by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interpret sometimes complex or ambiguous information and act upon it effectively.
- Ability to recognize emerging or declining product trends within the marketplace.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent product knowledge skills
- Strong communication skills and the ability to negotiate effectively and build beneficial relationships with suppliers.
- Strong technical knowledge of the products within their purchasing responsibility.
- Strong analytical and computer skills and effective at using data to drive decisions.
- Ability to work cohesively with a team
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Two years retail or buying office experience. Strong knowledge of industry and marketplace trends.