Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
Responsible for managing a group of Maintenance Supervisors in support of building and equipment maintenance and repair. Determines strategies to reduce mechanical downtime and keep product flow and production lines running at maximum efficiency. Responsible for the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventative and Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).
Maintenance Systems Management
- Responsible for the management of maintenance systems associated with high performing manufacturing organizations (Root Cause Analysis, Reliability-Centered Maintenance, TPM, etc.) while focusing on maximum plant capacity, while minimizing cost.
- Assigns proper scheduling of work to maximize task completion with minimal plant disruption, reduction in unscheduled downtime while lowering costs and creating higher plant efficiency.
Maintenance Staff and Safety
- Manages the maintenance staff through delegation, policy and procedure administration, assignment of work responsibilities, planning, organizing, directing and follow-up of the work assignment.
- Promotes plant safety performance through administration, enforcement of company and plant policy and procedure and training consistent with the objectives of Smithfield and in compliance with Federal and State agencies.
- Accountable for providing short and medium term solutions and day-to-day support to all operating teams having issues with troubleshooting, problem analysis, equipment failures, etc.
- Ensures the smooth daily operation of the plant with minimal repetitive issues.
Preventive and Predictive Maintenance
- Assists the Plant Engineer in developing and managing an effective Preventive and Predictive Maintenance program using SAP PM Module.
- Extracts and analyzes program data to ensure a constant state of continuous improvement.
Key Performance Indicators
- Maintains compliance with Key Performance Indicators for tracking and reporting the performance of the maintenance function (supplier performance, equipment reliability, overall equipment effectiveness, etc.).
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 5+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Possesses advanced technical skills in the mechanical / electrical fields (e.g. PLCs, instrumentation, mechanical engineering, etc.) and is able to lead resource planning efforts in a large manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of world-class maintenance management systems, work order processes, preventive/predictive maintenance, TPM, etc.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of and the Internet. Well versed in the use of SAP.
- Strong interpersonal and technical skills required; presentation skills preferred.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Maintenance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.