NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
The Plant Manager is responsible for directing all Operations and Maintenance (O&M) activities at the plant. The Plant Manager assures that an adequate supply of personnel, tools, equipment, and spare parts are available to provide for the safe and efficient operation of the plant. The Plant Manager assures that the plant is operated in compliance with applicable safety, environmental, and other regulatory requirements.
- Provides first line management and supervision for all plant supervisory and administrative operation and maintenance personnel.
- Responsible for developing safety procedures and ensuring a safe working environment is maintained.
- Responsible for selecting, training, supervising, and developing O&M personnel. This includes employee performance management, salary planning, and discipline.
- Managing, planning, organizing and execution of maintenance outages and plant modifications.
- Ensuring that plant activities are performed in compliance with company policy, state and federal regulations and accepted industry standards.
- Responsible for O&M budget development, tracking and control and for generating monthly and other reports as required by the Company, partners, electrical off-taker and regulatory agencies.
- Creates and supports an organizational culture that encourages and rewards employee involvement, innovative thinking, and adaptation to change, responsible risk taking, customer focus, and continuous improvement.
- Responsible for development and revision of plant procedures to comply with Standards and Guidelines, Codes of Practice and Corporate Policy.
- Responsible for setting up and maintaining successful communication networks with employees, partners, customers and NRG corporate staff and is responsible for performing administrative functions and responsibilities.
- Will be required to travel for training and/or other company business. This includes travel by private automobile, commercial airlines, and other public transportation.
- May be required to operate company vehicles including cars, and trucks.
- May be required to perform other duties as directed.
- Willing to accept accountability for own decisions, performance, and behavior, as well as the performance of assigned staff.
- Makes frequent contact with plant personnel, Commercial Management, management committee members, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), electrical off-taker and NRG corporate staff.
- Must be able to effectively interface with regulatory, political, business, civic and public representatives consistent with NRG corporate objectives
- High School diploma or GED Equivalent
- Must have a valid driver’s licence.
- Minimum of ten years of full-time supervisory experience within a power plant
- BS degree in industrial management, engineering or related field.
- Fossil fuel experience in a power plant setting
- Previous management experience working in a union environment
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The Plant Manager must possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of power generation plant processes and operation and maintenance techniques.
- The Plant Manager must have a thorough understanding of and demonstrated ability in management and supervision.
- The Plant Manager must possess a strong knowledge of safety work procedures, environmental rules and regulations and NERC reliability standards.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to successfully function as a member and/or leader of a team and to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
- The Plant Manager will be required to work long periods of time on a computer terminal.
- The Plant Manager will be required to travel via airline, car or other public transportation to attend meetings, seminars, and training classes or to perform site visits and audits at other facilities.
- The Plant Manager will be required from time to time to inspect plant facilities or equipment which may require climbing ladders and stairs or crawling through access doors or ports to gain entry.
- The Plant Manager may be required to work extended hours including nights and weekends.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources