The Plant Manager has direct responsibility for the aggregate plant sites including safety, environment, operations, performance, quality, human resources, plant’s image and community relations. The Plant Manager is an operations professional who understands the value of planning and processes and takes a disciplined approach to execution. The Plant Manager works closely and effectively with safety, environment, land, sales, customer service, materials performance and finance personnel.
This position is responsible for our Elburn surface quarry and Marengo sand & gravel.
1S194 Route 47, Elburn, Illinois 60119
9204 South IL Route 23, Marengo, Illinois 60152
- Demonstrates a commitment to communicating, improving and adhering to safety policies in all work environments and areas.
- Safety: Ensures that employees, equipment and processes meet or exceed the MSHA, OSHA and Lafarge guidelines. Pursues a culture of safety that is best in class with an objective of “zero” injuries or incidents. Actively engages with the workforce to reinforce safe behaviors.
- Environment: Establishes the environment as a priority at the site. Ensures regulations are met or exceeded by following Lafarge best practices.
- Operations Management: Provides direct oversight in the extraction, processing, storage, and shipping of aggregates at the site. Embraces best practices, processes and tools to ensure plant activities are optimized and costs are best in class. Effectively utilizes Lafarge’s maintenance programs to maximize plant up-time and manage costs.
- Inventory Management: Closely manages inventory needs at site through frequent coordination with the Territory Manager/s and Quality Control.
- Performance Management: Promotes a culture of performance. Effectively utilizes KPIs, Performance Efficiency Reviews, financial statements and operational reports to track performance, establish effective action plans and continuously improve the operations.
- Quality: Understands the value of quality and ensures processes are in place to provide a quality product to our customers. Utilizes best practices in extraction, processing, stockpiling, stock-pile reclamation and re-handling to ensure product remains within target specifications as it is received by our customers. Uses available reports effectively to measure quality, identify variances and establish corrective action.
- Planning: Develops operational and capital plans for the plant to continuously improve productivity and maintain costs as low or lower than our competition. Prepares budgets and forecasts. Prepares rolling 12 month production forecasts monthly and works closely with sales and customer service personnel to optimize production, sales and inventory levels. Assists in the creation of Mine Plans and ensures they are closely followed/executed (i.e. overburden removal and placement, extraction, and progressive rehabilitation/reclamation).
- Capital: Works with Area Operations Manager to identify necessary sustaining and development capital according to Lafarge best practices. Assists in preparing CERs (Capital Expenditure Requests) and assists in installation/construction of projects as required. Project Management to be performed by the Project Engineer for the Market Area.
- Plant Image: Maintains the plant in accordance with standard guidelines for plant image. Plant image includes housekeeping, parts storage, vehicles and equipment condition (cleanliness and appearance), entrance & property, and buildings.
- HR/Labor Relations: Supervises the workforce, typically through plant foreman and/or lead-hands. Responsible for effective recruitment, merit/recognition, disciplinary actions and terminations on site. Fosters effective employee relations. Establishes a safe and productive work environment where employees are proud to be members of the Lafarge family.
- Community Relations: Works proactively with the local community to ensure that Lafarge is a valued member of the community. Activities include organization of open houses and participation with local schools and non-profit organizations.
- Customer Focus: Interacts with on-site customers to insure their expectations for quality and quantity of material are met. Also ensures they are meeting are exceeding Lafarge best practices in relation to the environment and safety.
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER JOBS
- Reports to the local aggregates Operations Manager
- Works closely with the Manufacturing team and Market Safety Manager
- Works closely with local Territory Managers, Commercial Manager, Manager - Customer Service & Logistics, Materials Performance Manager, and Land Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Required Education: Bachelor's/Undergraduate Degree and 5 years’ experience or 8 years of equivalent experience.
Field of Study Preferred: Mining or engineering, or significant industry experience.
Licenses Preferred: Supervisor’s Card issued by MSHA
- Strong supervisory and people skills. Ability to develop effective internal and external relations.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Disciplined and process oriented.
- Knowledge of mining, crushing, and screening principles.
- Knowledge of welding, repairs and maintenance of mobile and processing equipment.
- Must be familiar with state and federal mining regulations as well as material specifications.