Plant Manager – Chicago, IL Fiber Drums
Mauser USA LLC has an opportunity for a Plant Manager at Chicago Fiber Drum location at 903 N. Kilpatrick Ave. It is an ideal opportunity for a manager who enjoys working closely on the production floor with a team of under 100 people. This would be a good opportunity for an experienced production leader who understands budgets, P&L, and lean manufacturing principles.
Mauser is a leading global supplier of industrial packaging solutions, manufacturing a variety of plastic, steel and fiber containers for a diverse customer base spanning industries including oil & gas, food & beverage, pharmaceutical and chemical, amongst others. Mauser is experiencing significant growth – both organically as well as through acquisition – with 24 locations nationwide, the opportunities for successful individuals can be significant.
The Plant Manager for Chicago will be responsible for leading the safety, quality, manufacturing and maintenance operations throughout the facility. The plant is in need of strong leader with technical & quality systems competence to drive improvements in the areas of customer service (particularly around quality), lean-manufacturing / housekeeping standards, employee engagement and financial performance. A strong safety orientation – our first priority – is a requirement for this leadership position.
Reporting to the Fiber Division Leader, the Plant Manager should have significant technical knowledge and experience in manufacturing operations while demonstrating the ability to drive operational changes as well as financial improvements in a manufacturing facility. Experience with the paper industry is beneficial. Mauser prides itself on achieving strong financial performance for its stakeholders while maintaining a cost-conscious mentality, therefore comfort and experience in a similar environment is preferred.
Main Position Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes and implements the necessary controls and measurements to ensure the efficient, cost effective manufacturing operations that obtain objectives in the areas of Safety, Productivity, Cost, Quality and Customer Satisfaction.
- Develops the operating budget, measures results vs. plan and develops actions to correct any gaps or deficiencies.
- Works directly with suppliers and internal Mauser resources to address quality issues and leads action plans to address
- Direct interface with key customers to address service and quality issues
- Reviews plant results both with division and corporate leadership as well as plant-based personnel.
- Responsible for developing capital plans inclusive of ROI
- Continual evaluation of product specifications and costs on a regular basis, including labor and overhead, and makes / implements recommendations to achieve improvements
- Ensures quality standards are met through testing products as necessary, identifying root cause for any defects and implementing action plans to remove manufacturing deficiencies
- Customer-service focused including on-time-delivery, personal involvement in any quality issues, customer visits, etc.
- Continually challenges the organization to review waste, reduce costs and improve productivity
- Champion employee engagement to drive improvements in safety performance, plant housekeeping, training and retention
- Short-term priorities include improvements in delivery, reduction in scrap, achievement of financial targets and increased focus on housekeeping, plant organization and visual factory
Key Attributes / Behaviors
- 10 years of operations / production management
- Hands-on experience – experience with paper converting is a plus
- Bachelor s degree in related discipline (i.e. engineering) preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of financial and operational performance data required
- Ability to present technical and financial information to executive level staff
- Experience in implementing elements of lean manufacturing with demonstrated & sustained results
- Energetic with the ability to inspire a sense of urgency in others
- Demonstrated ability to develop and promote subordinates
- Experience in establishing and maintaining a disciplined manufacturing operation with a focus on delivering consistent results with a respect for the individual employee
- Hands on experience in a small operation with a high comfort level in having multi-task responsibilities
- Ability to work effectively across functions including procurement, sales, finance, quality, safety and human resources
- Understanding of metal processes and set up reduction techniques
The Mauser Group manufactures and supplies plastic, fiber, and steel drums as well as intermediate bulk containers ( IBCs ) for the chemical, industrial and food & beverage industries, among many others. With revenues of $1.5 billion, the company is also the leading provider of reconditioning services for used plastic drums and IBCs of all products. Mauser s 4,400 employees operate 98 production facilities across 18 countries in Europe, North America, Latin America, and Asia. The Mauser Group is globally headquartered in Bruehl, Germany. Mauser North America LLC is the largest business unit of the global organization