Discover a world of opportunities. #HumanChemistry
See what chemistry can do for your career: careers.evonik.com
Exploring opportunities. Growing together.
VACANCY REFERENCE NUMBER 135238
Location: United States : Tonawanda, NY
Function: General Management
Career Level: Senior professionals (> 5 years)
Legal Entity: Evonik Corporation
Business Line: Active Oxygens
What we offer
You will work on exciting and challenging topics together with a team in an ultra-modern, innovative and creative environment. Intensive on-the-job training with expert colleagues guarantees you will quickly become familiar with your duties and perform them independently. Performance related pay and the opportunity for personal and professional development are of course part of the package. Since 2009 Evonik Industries AG has been certified as a family-friendly company by the German Hertie Foundation.
Lead and direct site operations of the Tonawanda plant in the production and shipment of quality products in a safe, environmentally sound, cost effective manner that is responsive to and anticipates customer needs and community concerns. Support business strategy for the Division and develop strategies for the Tonawanda site. The incumbent has the authority to allocate all local resources and establish internal priorities to optimize plant profitability and meet marketing requirements. Also, responsible for all costs and expenses including capital within the budget.
Broad latitude exists for decision making with major accountability for function
Safety and Health/Environmental/Loss Prevention
- Lead and support a culture in which commitment to safety, health, and the environment is given top priority.
- Lead waste minimization efforts that are continually focused on reduction or recycle.
- Visibly active in setting, demonstrating, and enforcing high standards of performance for safety, health, and the environment.
- Maintain compliance with all internal/external regulatory safety and environmental standards, including compliance with Responsible Care standards.
- Direct a strong emphasis on a continually improving safety and health program where performance will be in the top 25% of ACC member companies resulting in an injury free work environment.
- Provide leadership that gives clear, consistent mission and direction in alignment with business strategy and priorities by putting clearly defined objectives in place.
- Coach and develop line managers
- Identify, measure, track, and ensure achievement of critical success factors.
- Drive cultural change and continuous improvement.
- Produce high quality products to meet sales and marketing requirements
- Maintain plant operating reliability to permit flexibility in meeting market demands and the capability to achieve sustained plant capacity.
- Ensure core manufacturing basics are in place.
- Ensure that Objectives are in place, current and focused on key priorities.
- Interact with technology to optimize operations and support technologic development in order to ensure that production levels meet and satisfy customer demands and exceed corporate quality standards.
Asset Management and Cost Control
- Lead and manage active processes to continuously improve costs, including utilizing employee involvement and innovation, to ensure that key cost drivers are identified, tracked and that actions are implemented to improve the site’s competitive position.
- Developing and managing site budgets (Capital and expense)
- Ensure cost information is understood, communicated, and routinely reviewed
- Continue ongoing cost improvement while supporting the business strategy ( e.g. growth in specialty markets and capacity utilization)
- Manage plant inventories in a cost effective manner while maintaining production capability and reliability, utilize an effective, current facility plan, including environmental planning, capital spending, and resource identification
- Manage physical assets to support long term viability of the plant.
- Maintain an effective mechanical integrity system for the facility.
- Ensure a project management system is in place to effectively utilize capital and other resources.
- Ensure that the site is operated and maintained to established benchmarks consistent with industry standards.
- Establish and maintain good working relations with local community, civic groups, and political and legislative representatives.
- Establish and maintain good relations with other major business and manufacturing operations within the Western New York industrial community.
- Support a visible community outreach program through active participation on the Tonawanda Community Advisory Panel.
- Maintain close liaison with first responders and regulatory agencies in order to ensure that PeroxyChem meets its obligations as a corporate citizen in the community.
- Develop and maintain a positive and effective work environment with fair and consistent treatment for all employees and maximize the utilization of plant personnel thus enhancing overall plant performance.
- Provide management and direction for the human resources department in partnership with the HR Director.
- Responsible for successful bargaining contract negotiations.
Quality Assurance/Food Safety System
- Approve and support the Quality System and authorize changes to both in order to ensure that products and services meet quality standards, customer requirements, and governmental regulations.
- Reviews and Approves Food Safety Policy and Food Safety Objectives
- Ensures Resources are provided for the effective functioning of the Food Safety System and the Quality System
- Maintain compliance with RCMP and ISO9001:2008 standards.
- BS in Engineering (Chemical Engineering preferred)
- 2+ years’ experience working in a union environment preferred
- 8+ years of related manufacturing experience (ex: chemical industry, oil & gas industry, pharmaceuticals industry)
- Demonstrated leadership and “Drive for Results” skills
- Required to wear appropriate safety & personal protective equipment at all times
- Experience managing a continuous chemical process preferred.
- Process Safety Management (PSM) experience preferred
- Lean manufacturing, continuous improvement, lean six sigma experience preferred
- Familiar with ISO 9001, ISO 14001, FSSC 22000 (Food Safety System Certification) preferred
To ensure the fastest process of your application and to protect the environment, please apply online via our careers portal at https://careers.evonik.com.
VACANCY REFERENCE NUMBER 135238
Evonik Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Please note that Evonik will not accept any unsolicited application documents sent by staffing firms. Evonik works in conjunction with preferred service providers and will not pay any fee to staffing firms in the absence of an appropriate framework agreement. Should Evonik receive a candidate profile from a staffing firm with which it has no framework agreement, and should this candidate subsequently be considered in the recruitment process or offered employment, no claims from the staffing firm will be entertained in this regard.