Installs, repairs and maintains domestic water, well water, natural gas, sanitary sewer, storm drain and other plumbing systems on campus and all off-campus sites, both above and below ground.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Perform preventive maintenance to all plumbing systems on campus and underground wet utility systems on campus to include but not limited to those mentioned above.
- Inspect, repair and or replace, which includes but not limited to, cutoff valves, flush valves, circulation pumps, water heaters, commodes (with or without tanks), sinks, faucets, and other plumbing system components.
- Maintain up to date drawings of all underground utilities.
- Provide technical knowledge of underground utility repair procedures.
- Maintain stock level of plumbing parts to insure availability for prompt service.
- Read and interpret plans, blueprints, and specifications.
- Must possess and demonstrate soldering skills.
- Must possess and demonstrate repair and installation of PVC type piping.
- Operate equipment such as reamers, jetters, augers, pipe cutters, sewer tapes and use hand tools of the plumbing trade.
- Must have knowledge of applicable plumbing codes.
- Operate a backhoe.
- Provide practical designs of utility piping systems and the ability to make sketches that include thrust blocks, branch tees, transitions, valve bonnet protectors, and valve standpipes.
- Provide shoring of excavation site.
- Develop and conduct a preventive maintenance program for underground utilities.
- Clean respective work areas, train others in plumbing work, and assist other maintenance and crafts staff performing their duties.
- Works in a highly autonomous manner with a high level of technical understanding of the plumbing systems.
- Performs routine duties as assigned referring questionable cases to supervisor.
- Works in cooperative manner with other team members to ensure that the department's mission is fulfilled.
- Maintain satisfactory and harmonious relationships with the public, and fellow employees each day to assure / sustain quality service and appropriate interactions with others.
- Able to work day or evening shift and/or weekends
- Carry backup cell phone (rotating schedule) to respond to emergency calls after hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
- Possess legible penmanship (print & handwriting)
- Proficiency in speaking, reading and writing English
- Possess eyesight in both eyes corrected to 20-20.
- Possess normal hearing ability (may be corrected).
- Must observe safety precautions when working in the presence of extreme noise, mechanical, electrical, and radiation hazards, asbestos, and hazardous substances.
- Possess mathematical ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in order to compute material costs as required for completion of work order formAbility to read written instructions, warning labels, and MSDS Sheets in English.
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance
- Must maintain a valid driver's license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance, and complete the University Van Driver Training within 90 days of employment date.
- State of Texas Journeyman Plumber's License required.
- Valid Texas Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester License or have ability to obtain within 90days of employment.
- OSHA training in Excavation and Trenching for the Competent Person preferred or have ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
- TCEQ Water System Operator Class C license or ability to obtain within one year.
- Welder Certification preferred.
- Must possess demonstrated proficiency in operating, maintaining, and repairing all plant equipment, including hot and chilled water pumps, water treatment methods and equipment.
- Demonstrated high level of mechanical aptitude and theoretical understanding of thermodynamics, psychometrics, fluid flow, and HVAC system design.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to successfully handle frustrating conditions such as limits on time, limited access to equipment, and dealing with uncomfortable customers.
- Able to carry 80 pounds up and down stairs
- Frequent standing, kneeling/squatting, bending/ stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladder/scaffolding, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, and overhead reaching; frequent driving
- Work outside and inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, insects, dust, toxic chemicals and fumes, noise, vibration, and electrical hazards; workaround gas lines; work around machinery with moving parts; may work in tight or enclosed spaces; may work alone; may work irregular hours
PREPLACEMENT PHYSICAL REQUIRED: Yes
PREPLACEMENT BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED: Yes
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
TBD - Hourly