ABOUT THIS POSITION
Police Communications Operators answer calls from the public and communicate via radio with police officers regarding all types of emergencies and non-emergencies. The City of Phoenix is seeking individuals who demonstrate the ability to calmly work with the citizens of Phoenix and police officers while using a multi-line telephone system, radio network panel, and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system to receive, prioritize, and process calls for police services. Our Police Communications Operators work both as a Call Taker, answering 911/Crime Stop calls, and Radio Dispatcher. This is a 24-hour a day, 7-day a week operation.
This application requires your typing speed certification, cover letter, and resume submitted as one document.
Review the general factors for disqualification regarding police civilian employment here
Learn more about the Police Communications Operator job requirements, hiring process, training, what to expect the first eight months of employment, and work hours by visiting: www.phoenix.gov/police/joinphxpd911
Applications reviewed weekly. Recruitment may close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
$18.72 (minimum) - $28.79 (maximum) hourly / $38,938 - $59,883 annually.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA plan; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Unit 3 Benefits
- One year of experience in public contact, customer service and/or clerical work
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered
- Ability to accurately type 40 words per minute (net) from dictation
- Employees are required to work evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
- The City job description can be found here
HOW TO APPLY
Only online applications are accepted for this position. Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your typing speed certification, cover letter and resume as one document. Those not submitted as one document will not be accepted. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
Typing speed certificates issued by online/internet programs are not accepted. Review typing speed certificate requirements and how to obtain one by visiting: https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Documents/typingspeedcertification.pdf
Click the link to register for typing speed certification test https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0544acac22a6f85-typing
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- A Background Packet will be completed by eligible applicants who successfully pass the Typing Test from Dictation, CritiCall and Interview. Applicants can obtain the Background Packet and instructions by visiting https://www.phoenix.gov/police/joinphxpd911. You will be notified when it is appropriate to turn in a Background Packet.
- Apply for Police Communications Operator - Lateral if you have a minimum of one year continuous full-time experience as a Police 911 Call Taker and/or Police Radio Dispatcher (after completing probation).
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Police Communications Operator, JC: 01830, ID# 31066, 3/10/19, 12 mos, DD, Benefits: 03
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Be Kind, Spend Wisely.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.