Persons interested in applying for the position of police dispatcher for the City of Alamo Heights Police Department must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America;
- Be at least nineteen (19) years of age;
- Be able to meet minimum standards for licensure as set forth in the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) unless a higher standard is listed herein;
- Applicants must possess a high school diploma/GED, and at least one of the following qualifications:
- (preferred) completion of the Basic Telecommunications Operator Certification Course; and
- (preferred) an active Texas telecommunications operator license; and
- (preferred) have successfully completed the NCIC/TCIC, TLETS Certification Course (40 hrs).
- Applicants must be of good moral character; defined in the same way as Police Officers.
- Applicants must be able to read and write the English language.
- Applicants must not have been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions specifically:
- Under other than honorable conditions;
- Bad conduct;
- Dishonorable; or
- Any other characterization of service indicating bad character.
- Applicants must not have been convicted or have ever been on court-ordered community supervision, probation or deferred adjudication for any criminal offense of the grade of Class B misdemeanor within the last ten (10) years from the date of court order.
- The applicant must not be currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
- The applicant must not have been convicted of any family violence offense.
- The applicant must not ever have been convicted at any time of a State jail felony or felony offense.
- The applicant must not have been convicted of the offense of driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence of drugs within twenty-four months prior to making application.
- The applicant must possess a valid Texas driver's license with an acceptable driving record and is not prohibited by State or Federal law from operating a motor vehicle.
To be eligible for appointment as a police dispatcher, the applicant must meet the following additional standards prior to appointment.
- Following a conditional offer of employment, the applicant must be examined by a licensed physician as selected by the City of Alamo Heights and declared able to perform the essential functions of the job; and the applicant is required to pass a drug screen.
All applicants must meet the minimum standard for licensing of a telecommunications operator pursuant to the rules of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education. All employees are required to meet all job standards and training requirements to maintain employment.