As a current employee you know Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. The safety of our passengers, our more than 20,000 colleagues, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of you.
By living the Amtrak values and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Performs general police duties, processes and operations for the protection of life and property and enforces federal, state and local laws, prevents crime and preserves peace in a railroad surface transportation environment.
Note: The following are NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed but a representative sample of the primary duties and responsibilities.
• Responsible for the safety and protection of all persons, including passengers, employees and property.
• Performs patrol duties on foot and in a police vehicle for prolonged periods of time.
• Performs security and safety activities at incidents, including, but not limited to, derailments, floods, fires, hazardous material incidents, special trains, and company functions involving railroad property and responsibility.
• Responds to call for service and assistance, identifies hazards and takes proactive steps to resolve problems.
• Arrests and detains offenders, conducts thorough preliminary and follow-up investigations to solve crimes and reduce criminal opportunities, conducts searches and seizures and serves warrants.
• Effectively deals with individuals under various circumstances to resolve disputes and neutralize hostilities, mediates disputes; assists individuals who are sick and need assistance, administers first aid when necessary.
• Maintains proficiency and safely operates police equipment, including vehicles, computers and weapons, including a firearm.
• Communicates verbally in person and by radio; presents testimony and evidence in administrative, civil and criminal proceedings; maintains open line of communications with law enforcement and criminal justice agencies, internal and external partners, as necessary or when directed.
• Records information and prepares a variety of detailed reports with clearly organized thoughts and conclusions.
• Reads, interprets and applies federal, state and local laws and regulations, railroad and department policies and procedures.
- ACADEMY-TRAINED applicants: Must have successfully completed a California POST Certified Basic Academy or ACADEMY-IN-PROCESS applicants: Must be currently enrolled in a California POST Certified Basic Academy program and be within three months of graduation. New hire (we are sponsoring the recruit to attend a California POST Certified Basic Academy program):
- High School Diploma or GED. College coursework in Criminal Justice, behavioral, or other social science coursework is preferred.
- Must be a United States citizen or have the ability to work in the United States
- Must be 20 years of age at the time of application
- Candidates are required to undergo an extensive background investigation, polygraph examination, post-offer psychological evaluation, and post-offer medical examination, including screening for drugs and alcohol.
- Must possess a valid California Class C driver's license and acceptable driving record are required.
Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen, or able to provide proof of application for US citizenship at least one year prior to applying for a Police Officer Trainee position with the Amtrak Police Department.
Medical: Excellent physical condition. Must meet California POST medical and psychological standards.
- Must be able to pass all components of the police application process, including a written examination, a physical agility test meeting the following standards: Bench Press: 57% of applicant’s weight; Illinois Agility run: 20.6 seconds; 300 meter run: 92 seconds; push ups: 12; and 1.5 mile run: 19:45 minutes; a job related physical examination; a psychological examination and an in-depth background investigation.
- Ability to obtain a railroad police commission from the State of California.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
• Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Safety & Security
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
Recruiter Name:Jimmie Batts
APD Physical Agility Test Video: https://youtu.be/KUg_GpLv5ew
Starting Salary: $68,000 - $75,000 (w/ individual and family benefits) see attached website
APD Benefits website: https://police.amtrak.com/index.php/career
You power our progress through your performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.