ABOUT THIS POSITION
Apply for this job if you are AZPOST Certified with or without experience OR if you are a sworn peace officer outside the State of Arizona with at least one year of experience.
The mission of the Phoenix Police Department is to build and foster strong relationships with the community through our outreach and engagement, while adhering to the highest standards and traditions of the Phoenix Police Department. The Phoenix Police Department is committed to the Guiding Values of our P.R.I.D.E Statement - Protection, Responsibility, Integrity, Dedication and Employee Excellence.
Police Officers perform general duty police work in the protection of life and property through crime prevention and the enforcement of state laws and ordinances. Successful applicants will be required to complete the City of Phoenix post-academy.
To review this process in more detail, click on the link below: https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Pages/Police-Officer-Lateral-Transfers.aspx
Note: If you do not meet the Job Requirements for Police Officer / Peace Officer Lateral Transfer and are interested in joining the Police Department, visit https://www.phoenix.gov/employment. Select Jobs & Volunteering>Current Job Openings. In the Search Jobs field type and search for "Police Recruit Written Exam".
Recruitment is on-going.
$24.75 (minimum) - $34.82 (maximum) hourly / $51,480 - $72,426 annually. Appointment can be made above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
Unit 4 Benefits
Comprehensive benefits package, plus:
- Police Officers who meet performance standards are eligible for annual merit step increases to a current maximum base pay of $34.82 hourly/$72,426 annually (approximately 5% each step).
- Officers are also eligible for additional career enhancement pay based on education level and skills/assignments acquired during their career up to a maximum of $7,613 annually.
- Bilingual incentive pay and productivity enhancement pay available for qualified officers.
- Nightshift/weekend differential pay available.
- Compensatory time back option.
- Paid court overtime.
- Arizona applicants must have an Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZPOST) certification and be in good standing.
- Applicants certified in another state other than Arizona, must have at least full one year of experience as a first responder (excluding academy, administrative and training assignments, or jail detention officer duties).
- This is a 24-hour per day, 7-day per week operation. Employees are required to work evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Vacation and shift assignments are determined by seniority.
- Requires walking for prolonged periods which may include walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces.
- Requires working outside in a variety of environmental extremes such as heat, cold, rain, air pollution, and dust.
- City job description can be found here.
- Positions in the Police Department must meet the polygraph and background standards that are appropriate to sworn positions. The general factors for disqualification are listed at https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/sworndisqualifiers.pdf
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Police Officer/ Peace Officer - Lateral, JC: 62210 A, ID# 29703, 12/2/18, 12 mos, DD, Benefits: 04
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Be Kind, Spend Wisely.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.