Global Health Technical Professionals (GHTP) is a US Agency for International Development (USAID) program that offers early- to mid-career global health professionals the opportunity to advance their careers supporting the USAID Bureau for Global Health and its implementing partners. GHTP is helping USAID improve global health outcomes in communities around the world by building a new generation of global health technical professionals who reflect the diversity of the American people.
Credence Management Solutions, LLC (Credence) is seeking Policy Advisor within USAID’s Bureau for Global Health, Office of Office of Policy, Programs, and Planning (P3) under GHTP.
The Policy Advisor position is located in the Bureau for Global Health’s Office of Policy, Programs, and Planning (P3). P3 provides leadership, advice, and support to the GH Bureau on strategic planning, budgeting and resource allocation, financial and program management, and procurement planning.
The office also provides leadership in ensuring the effectiveness of GH programs and the achievement of GH objectives through coordination of the Bureau’s performance monitoring and program evaluation activities.
In addition, P3 serves as the lead GH office for donor coordination activities.
The P3 Office Director is the USAID POC for the Policy Advisor, who provides strategic and technical guidance on the full range of GH’s policy, programmatic, and donor coordination issues.
The Policy Advisor advances Bureau for Global Health (GH) priority goals by facilitating effective health program implementation across multiple technical areas and development sectors.
The position plays a key coordination role in and substantively contribute to planning, analyzing, and improving GH Bureau strategies, policies and operational processes, with particular focus on project design, program management, budget planning and analysis, and policy analysis. To accomplish these objectives, the Advisor collaborates closely with a wide range of stakeholders from the GH Bureau, USAID regional and pillar bureaus, field missions, the State Department, and other donors and development partners.
Providing advanced technical assistance to USAID on program introduction, implementation and/or policy.
- Support the GH Bureau’s program design and development process, including reviewing concept papers and supporting project design teams within the Bureau’s technical offices.
- Help ensure that project designs and objectives are in alignment with Bureau and Agency policies and strategies
- Provide substantive technical assistance to P3, implementing partner consultants, and GH writ large to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of program processes in the Bureau.
Providing guidance and expertise, including assisting with the preparation and/or review of strategies and program plans to address policy and implementation issues at the global level.
- Coordinate with the Bureau of Policy, Planning and Learning, the Management Bureau, Regional Bureaus, and the State Department to review and/or participate in the development of draft Agency policies and strategies with implications for global health programming, so that GH equities are represented.
- Coordinate the annual preparation of GH’s “Use of Funds” guidance, which provides budget, policy, and legal guidelines to USAID operating units worldwide as they implement global health programs.
- Perform and guide strategic planning and program monitoring tasks as required by the GH Bureau, including substantively contributing to the development of Bureau priorities and application of strategic goals to budgets.
- Assists in the development of strategies, plans, program guidance, and dissemination of results for Agency-wide application and incorporation into global health programs.
- Guide the formulation of the GH Bureau's strategic planning guidance and initiate plans for incorporation of this guidance across the Bureau.
Serving as subject matter expert to USAID and its partners.
- Keep abreast of relevant changes to the USAID’s Automated Directives System (ADS) and GH policy related to budget, strategy, planning, and programming.
Reviewing and synthesizing information about USAID programs and recommending adjustments in program direction as needed.
- Identify and track policy issues and priorities that may affect the GH Bureau; and draft and present recommendations to GH senior leadership addressing those issues. Coordinate with P3 leadership and GH technical advisors, as appropriate.
- Coordinate and provide recommendations for GH’s process for designing, disseminating, implementing, and assessing new Bureau Operating Procedures that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of GH programming.
Contributing to the routine work, including providing technical updates, briefers and other documents that describe USAID’s activities, research and progress; preparing portfolio reviews and reports; reviewing documents such as annual reports and operational plans; and preparing responses to Q&As and other requests for information.
- Analyze GH financial and performance data to inform budget planning, including assisting in activities such as supporting the development of funding scenarios and recommendations, engaging with USAID staff to assist in defining and identifying the resources required to implement effective programs, and assist in preparing and reviewing responses to Congressional requests for budget and program information.
- Coordinate the submission of the Global Health Operational Plan and bureau-wide review of Mission Health Implementation Plans.
- Lead the GH Bureau’s annual Cross-Bureau Budget analysis and process, working with program and technical staff across the Bureau to plan the allocation of funding for cross-cutting activities and present recommendations and justifications to senior Bureau leadership.
- Support senior-level decision-making by leading the planning for GH portfolio reviews, including developing guidance, analyzing bureau-wide data on programmatic and financial performance, reviewing submissions by technical offices for accuracy and consistency with guidance, and developing a plan to identify issues and follow-up.
Assisting countries in developing their capacity to plan management activities.
- Provide programmatic and budget support and guidance to other headquarters Bureaus and Missions in designing, monitoring and analyzing global health policies, strategies, and programs.
Providing technical advice to ensure that country programs are consistent with current practice, international standards and recommendations.
- Providing technical advice, coordination and collaboration on behalf of GH/P3 on budget and policy matters to the Bureau for Global Health, other Bureaus, Agency programs and initiatives and Missions.
Contributing public health expertise and participating in working groups and task forces.
- Participating in interagency and intra-agency working groups as appropriate.
- Other tasks or responsibilities may evolve based on organizational and programming needs.
For example, P3 encourages all staff to participate on GH Country Support teams, technical working groups in areas of interest, cross-Agency task teams, and other opportunities that are relevant to the position and/or office.
- Participate in professional continuing education, skills training and professional meetings to enhance relevant technical skills and career development.
- Complete and execute an Individual Learning and Training Plan and Annual Work Plan.
Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree and 7 years or Bachelor’s degree and 9 years relevant experience and higher in public health, international development, public policy or administration, finance or a related field.
- At least 5 years of professional experience with two or more technical disciplines (such as, public health, international development, public policy, budget development, financial data analysis, etc.); job duties/responsibilities generally related to PD requirements.
- Experience working within complex programs with multiple partners.
- Experience coordinating policy, budget, or strategy projects and/or processes.
- Strong oral and written communications skills and the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals is required.
- Must possess the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior leaderships, clients & customers.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically approximately 10%.
- US citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain secret security clearance required.