- Are you a proactive, strategic, big-picture problem solver who owns your own destiny and outcomes?
- Are you analytical, but able to turn up the charm enough to win people over?
- Are you a wizard with words yet also understand what the polling/modeling data is saying?
- Are you always in motion, constantly seeking new opportunity?
- Do you want to move your career forward at a place that values and rewards entrepreneurial mindset, innovation, and growth?
If so, as a Director of Client Strategy, you will ask the right people the right questions to showcase the value we bring to innovative multi-mode polling and predictive analytics. This is a hunting sales-growth position with uncapped earning potential for someone who figures out how to drive value and differentiate in the political space using our unique approach.
Cygnal is a culture-obsessed, team-oriented, fail-and-learn, servant-leader, obsessively-innovative organization. We are passionate about helping our clients get more accurate research that is also affordable. Other polling firms are doing the same thing they’ve always done, while Cygnal is bringing accuracy and clarity by creating new methodologies, new technologies, and new ways to improve campaign decision making.
This role is built for the consummate networker. You have cultivated friendships and professional relationships during your years working on campaigns and in the committee/party structure. You don’t have to be a polling expert, but you do need to understand the problems it solves and the answers it can provide.
No day at Cygnal will look the same as the last, except for the fact that you will give it your all and leave nothing on the field. Your time will be interspersed with:
- Outbound calls to potential clients
- Text messages and emails with existing clients
- Coffee with a friend who you can make a connection for
- Updates to the pipeline to track potential deals
- Quick conversations with your teammates to develop a poll
- Drinks with the new political director at the caucus of a key battleground state
The VP of Sales will coach you in how to develop opportunities and grow your pipeline, providing accountability and encouragement along the way. Our President will ensure you have all the resources necessary to succeed in your role of cultivating relationships and generating revenue. Our CEO will work beside you to close deals.
When you land a client or project, our Services team will step in and manage the client from scripting to reporting and analysis. You can be as involved as you’d like in the process of delivering on our promise to the client. Many times your experience in campaigns combined with the data and insights we generate provide the client significant value in recommending what they need to do to win.
You will work from our Arlington, VA, office and do most of your communication digitally and by phone. Travel will be part of the role, as nothing replaces face-to-face relationship opportunities. Cygnal covers travel expenses.
Required Skills & Background
- Persistence to make daily outbound contact of 20 or more activities - calls, emails, texts, notes, gifts, etc.
- Solid written and verbal communication; comfortable talking to powerful people
- Innate desire to set and achieve tough goals
- Understanding of political polling and predictive analytics
- Ability to learn and adapt rapidly, taking feedback in stride and not personally
- Excellent time management skills with a focus on productivity
- Flexibility to work weekends and/or extended hours as needed - politics never sleeps
- Mental toughness to juggle multiple projects, prospects, and rejection
- Ability to distill complex problems into understandable information, providing quick solutions of how to solve the issue with polling and predictive analytics
- Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Humility to share the credit and serve others
Ideal Candidate Profile
- 5-8 years of campaign work with at least 1 cycle experience at a committee, caucus, or political party
- Relationships with consultants, political vendors, and elected officials
- Must reside in the DC area
- Ability to work independent, remotely, and from the road
- Competent in GSuite products, and efficient in email, Slack, Excel, and CRMs
- Able to travel overnight as required - estimated at 25-30%
- High accuracy in work with attention to detail
- Competitive base salary
- Commission on each project sold
- Company contribution toward health, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Company paid term life insurance
- 401k with company matching
- Paid professional development opportunities