The Center for Investigative Medicine of the Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine invites applications for a Post-Doctoral Fellow research position in the laboratory of Nichol Holodick, Ph.D. A major focus of the Holodick lab is understanding how B cells change with age and the factors affecting such changes over time. The successful candidate will participate in projects focusing on determining whether estrogen has an effect on a specific subset of B cells, B1a cells, which provide essential protection and therefore survival from S. pneumoniae infection through production of natural antibodies. This post-doctoral position has a projected start date of January, 2021 or later.
The successful candidate is expected to carry out and publish cutting edge original research based on themes current in the Holodick Lab, and to contribute to establishing and promoting a successful research environment.
- Direct involvement and participation in discovery-based research
- Communicates problems or matters of a scientific, technical and/or administrative nature both within the department and interdepartmentally utilizing computer technology
- Conducts independent research and assists in the conduct of research
- Analyzes data and interprets results to write reports and summaries of findings
- Maintains accurate records of tests conducted, results, data and patients tested including calculation of results from supplied data, obtained data, and statistics
- Provides instruction in laboratory technique, instrumentation, and application of laboratory test procedures to new technicians and students
- Assists supervisor and lab members in the development of technical procedures and protocols
- Organizes and prioritizes work to meet specific goals and accomplishments
- Manages lab technicians time
- Provides feedback to lab members and department managers
- Maintains clean and efficient work area and replenishes supplies as necessary
- Conducts isolation and in vitro culture of primary lymphocytes
- Conducts various assays on purified populations including immunoflorescent staining
- Conducts RNA isolation/RT-PCR, expression cloning, protein extraction, western blotting
- Prepares stock solutions and reagents
- Is available to work occasional overtime on weekends or evenings to complete time sensitive projects
- Acquires knowledge for new technology and policy/procedure revisions
- Pursues all other duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in immunology, microbiology, biochemistry, or molecular biology.
- Required skills include experience with: sterile tissue culture, immunofluorescent staining, flow cytometric analysis, RNA, DNA and protein extraction, vertical and horizontal gel electrophoresis, protein immunoprecipitation, Western blotting, polymerase chain reaction, and molecular cloning.
- Demonstrates the ability to recognize priorities in the organization of workflow.
- Able to perform duties independently, with a minimal need for direct supervision
Interested and qualified applicants should apply online at https://careers-wmich.icims.com/jobs/1623/post-doctoral-fellow-holodick-lab/job and by sending his/her CV directly to Dr. Holodick at email@example.com. All other open positions are located on our main website at www.med.wmich.edu.
About Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
As one of the newer US medical schools, WMed is an exciting environment to pursue an academic career. The medical school is a collaboration of Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo's two teaching hospitals, Ascension Borgess Health and Bronson Healthcare. The medical school is a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation supported by private gifts, clinical revenues, research activities, tuition, and endowment income. WMed is fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) and also by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The inaugural medical student class graduated in 2018 after completing an innovative, patient-centered four-year curriculum that prepares them to be exceptional clinicians, leaders, educators, advocates, and researchers of tomorrow. There are more than 200 residents and fellows in ten residencies and three fellowships accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). WMed has Joint Accreditation for interprofessional continuing education, which incorporates accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). The School of Medicine Clinics are housed in a modern 60,000 square foot clinical building on the Oakland Drive Campus and are accredited by The Joint Commission with recognition by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Patient-Centered Medical Home. The 350,000 square foot educational building on the W.E. Upjohn M.D. Campus located in downtown Kalamazoo underwent a $78 million renovation and expansion project including two laboratory research floors and a state-of-the-art Simulation Center that is accredited by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. The Innovation Center on the Parkview Campus is a life science, technology, and engineering incubator serving the earliest startups to maturing companies with laboratory, office and conference space, access to core scientific equipment and expertise, and a wide range of support services.
Kalamazoo is a wonderful and vibrant city, located midway between Chicago and Detroit. It is a short distance from Lake Michigan, and home to two nationally ranked institutions of higher learning, Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo College. Kalamazoo is known for its community focus and emphasis on access to quality education at all levels. The Kalamazoo Promise is a nationally renowned program in which graduates of Kalamazoo Public Schools receive free tuition to attend public and private colleges in Michigan. Kalamazoo and Michigan provide extensive entertainment and recreational activities, including opportunities to enjoy the outdoors, unique restaurants and shops, and a strong culture supporting the arts.
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans, and actively strives to increase diversity within its community. We provide a drug- and tobacco-free workplace.
EEO Minorities/Women/Disabled/Protected Veterans.