The Postdoctoral Fellow position at Caravel Autism Health is a post-graduate position that provides an opportunity to gain experience specific to Autism Spectrum Disorder and its treatments while assisting new graduates with obtaining required hours for licensure. This individual will have the opportunity to work with the Senior Psychologist to design and implement behavioral counseling and family therapy strategies to serve the autism population and their families. Fellows are integrated into our service model to provide a global mental health perspective for our clients and their families. The Postdoctoral Fellow will work with multiple teams within Caravel Autism Health to promote the highest quality health services for our clients and their families.
The Postdoctoral Fellow conducts diagnostic evaluations with children and adolescents with developmental disabilities and other childhood behavioral/mental health conditions. The Postdoctoral Fellow also provides individual psychotherapy, family therapy, and group services (social skills) for children, adolescents, and adults related to Autism Spectrum Disorder. Additionally, the Postdoctoral Fellow is responsible for conducting psychological testing with clients on an as-needed basis to assess progress across a number of domains.
Non-Essential Functions/Other Duties:
Travel Required: Rare travel to client homes, with use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursed).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to a client who exhibits physically aggressive behavior which can include kicking, pinching, punching, biting, etc. The employee may have to use appropriate behavior management techniques frequently with a client under such circumstances. Such response requires agility, quick reflexes, and the ability to use physically evasive movement. The employee will be constantly required to stand, walk, sit, grasp, reach, bend, kneel, crouch, squat, hear, type and write. In addition, the employee will be exposed to normal office conditions and usual office equipment such as phone, computer, printers, copiers, files, etc. The employee must be able to independently and repeatedly lift, move, and carry objects weighing up to thirty-five (35) lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include near, far, and field of vision. Speech must be spoken in a way in which others will understand. This position requires regular and punctual employee presence.
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience working with children on the autism spectrum.
- Ideal experience to include:
- Experience with children and adolescents
- Individual psychotherapy, Family therapy
- Behavioral and/or Cognitive/Behavioral Orientation
- Individualized goals and outcomes
- Writing and submitting reports to funding agencies and team members.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent diagnostic and clinical skills.
- Natural ability to interact with children. Skilled in carefully observing children and young people and respond to what they might be communicating through their behavior and play.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Self-motivated, with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Works cohesively within a team environment in order to deal with complex client problems.
- Demonstrate skills in the areas of coaching, mentoring, and leading others.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships.
- Strong client centered focus, with the desire to meet and exceed client expectations.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and abide by ethical guidelines and policies, including compliance with HIPAA laws and regulations.
- Maintains professional boundaries with clients and their families, representing organization in a professional manner.
- Strong work ethic, with the ability to meet scheduling commitments
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must pass a Wisconsin or Illinois Caregiver’s Background Check.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and provide proof of auto insurance.