A Postdoctoral Scientist position in synthetic chemistry is available immediately on our interactive multi-disciplinary research team focused on the design, synthesis, and development of novel vaccine adjuvants and immunomodulators at the University of Montana, Missoula, Montana, USA under the direction of Dr. Kendal Ryter. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong theoretical background and relevant laboratory experience in organic synthesis and modern purification and characterization techniques (NMR, HPLC, LC-MS, etc.), and with a solid understanding of medicinal chemistry and relevant biochemical disciplines. Previous experience with carbohydrate, heterocyclic and phospholipid chemistry is preferred. The postdoc research associate is expected to: carry out multi-step synthesis, purification, and characterization of target compounds and intermediates on milligram to multi-gram scale in support of synthetic adjuvant and immunomodulator programs; troubleshoot and optimize existing chemical processes and assist with the design and implementation of new synthetic processes; keep abreast of relevant scientific developments in organic synthesis and related fields by reading scientific literature and using database and library resources; develop and maintain accurate and complete records of all laboratory activities in accordance with regulatory guidelines, standard operating procedures, and UM requirements; participate in appropriate departmental meetings, seminars, and project teams and perform research in a collaborative manner with other scientists and teams.
- The position is a full-time Letter of Appointment and includes a competitive salary and comprehensivebenefits package(i.e., MUS health insurance benefits, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program).
- Salary for this position is $52,000
- PhD in organic chemistry or related field.
- Strong theoretical and empirical background in medicinal chemistry/synthetic organic chemistry with particular emphasis on the synthesis of natural products, transition metal-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions and drug development.
- Excellent research capabilities required to carry out innovative and insightful research.
- Ability to devise and articulate a research plan with defined goals, and design sound experimental strategies with appropriate controls
- Experience in the preparation of patent applications and academic technology transfer.
- Familiarity with GMP laboratory procedures.
- Strong experience in the generation of laboratory SOP documentation.
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge in the following techniques:
- NMR including 1D (1H, 13C, 19F), 2D (NOESY, TOCSY, HSQC, HMBC, COSY), FT-IR, LC-MS, HR-MS and polarimetry.
- The preparation of samples for pharmaceutical analysis.
- Ability to identify, analyze and summarize relevant literature.
- Proven record and ability to produce research to a high publication standard.
- Ability to learn and apply new skills appropriate to conduct necessary research.
- Knowledge and experience in a laboratory environment.
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas and concepts (both orally and in writing) to scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Ability and willingness to undertake collaborative research.
- Ability to supervise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
- Ability to maintain a safe working and learning environment.
- Ability to achieve project goals within time and budget.
About the Center for Translational Medicine,UM,and Missoula
The Center for Translational Medicine (CTM) at the University of Montana is a multi-disciplinary research center that assists faculty, staff, and students in the translation of pre-clinical research discoveries from bench to bedside. The Center works across the Montana University System to facilitate the ability of University researchers to better advance the clinical and/or commercial potential of their basic science discoveries.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with approximately 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students and 500+ full-time faculty members. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 70,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9thin Outside Magazine’s “The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014. Many national publications recognize Missoula for its highquality of life. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
UM is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its fivepriorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- University Highlights
- City of Missoula
- Destination Missoula
- Video:There's This Place
- Missoula Area Chamber of Commerce
- State of Montana
- Visit Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date:February 10, 2020by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin after date above and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interestaddressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resumelisting education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information forthree (3) professional references
Need additional help? Check out ourUM Jobs FAQ website.