JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOBFUNCTIONS: The Power Plant Operator Assistant reports to thePower Plant Supervisor and assists with operating the high-pressure boilers oncampus including the power plant, and cooling plant.
- Conducts minor maintenance such as filling saltwater tanks, organizing control rooms, inventory of stocks, painting, etc.
- Checks activities and assists in operating heating and cooling plant equipment.
- Operates boilers with the assistance of 1st class Steam Boiler Operators.
- Assists the 1st Class Steam Boiler Operators complete the repairs and replacement of defective piping, pumps, controls, and other parts associated with the boilers and chillers.
- Observes plant safety rules, performs assigned tasks in a safe manner, and remains alert for unsafe acts and conditions.
- Keeps and maintains a shift log.
- Completes visual rounds of power plant operations.
- Conducts routine maintenance tasks associated with the boilers and chillers, including the sump pumps, fan and cooling tower repairs with assistance from the 1st Class Steam Boiler Operators.
- Takes and records daily water sample readings from the condensate, condenser and chill water loops with assistance from 1st class steam boiler operators.
- Assists with responding to emergency situations associated with the boilers and chillers.
- Reads and interprets meters, gauges, and records the results.
- Creates and keeps electronic and paper records; orders parts; and cleans and maintains all mechanical rooms which houses boilers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: HighSchool Diploma or GED. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
EXPERIENCE:Two (2) years of field experience operating boilers greater than 5 hp to 1500horsepower. Third (3rd) class steam licensure isREQUIREDupon hire. As a condition of employment, must possess a 1st class steamlicense within two years of hire. (1st Class Refrigerationlicense and vocational/technical training are preferred).
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION:Shelby County Third (3rd) class steam licensure is REQUIRED uponhire. First class steam operating license preferred; A Shelby County firstclass refrigeration operating license is preferred. Valid driver’s licenserequired. (COPY OFLICENSE/CERTIFICATION is REQUIRED)
PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS:Ability to lift 75lbs.; Ability to climb and work from ladders for extended periods.
- Some knowledge of BAS (Building Automation Systems).
- Computer skills with windows systems.
- Ability to assist in managing air conditioning equipment greater that 40 tons.
- Ability to communicate by use of a telephone and a radio.
- Ability to work overtime with little notice.
WORK SCHEDULE:Thisposition is required to report to designated work location to ensure operationof essential campus functions or departments during an emergency or when theUniversity has suspended or delayed operations. Must be flexible with the workschedule. This position works rotating shifts. May frequently work weekends andevenings.
Anofficial transcript or documentation to verify education must be submitted in asealed envelope to the Human Resources Department prior to first day ofemployment if selected for a position.
Primary Location: US-Tennessee-Memphis
Organization: Facilities Administration-Evc
Education Level: Full-time
Job Posting: Oct 19, 2020, 1:52:23 PM
Job Posting: false
Work Schedule: 192534