The Chicago office is currently seeking a Director, Connector (Media Relations) for a well-known, travel and leisure account. Only self-starters who love media pitching need apply. As Media Director, you’ll serve as a key leader in the development and execution of strategic media campaigns. You will be a thought-leader and counselor to client leadership and agency partners as well as be responsible for securing top-tier media coverage across all media channels - traditional, digital and social leveraging your deep media relationships.
Golin is a progressive public relations agency with expertise ranging from brand-building and cutting edge digital content, to corporate reputation, healthcare advocacy and measurement. Our client roster includes many of the largest CPG, retail, food, healthcare technology and consumer service companies in the world, including enviable partnerships with Fortune 500 clients like McDonald’s, Walmart, Unilever, Discover and Amgen. Golin aligns earned-first, data-driven creative with the customer journey, to deliver maximum impact for clients and reach a profoundly diverse global market. “Go All In” is the agency’s ethos and commitment to bravery over mediocrity.
We Go All In, in everything we do. We’re especially committed to Go All In for our people. We challenge our employees to be Courageously Happy, and have empowered them to do so by offering our LifeTime benefits program. LifeTime offers unlimited time off, enhanced family care, ridiculously good health and wellness benefits, the ability to work from anywhere one day a week and a monthly stipend for a gym membership, classes, or hobbies. We really do want you to play as hard as you work!
What You’ll Do:
- Translate brand and key messages into packaged media concepts that get relevant media (e.g., print, broadcast, online) to talk or write about the topic/client
- Provide media outreach support, coordinate logistics, leverage social media to identify appropriate targets, conduct research, develop media lists to support physical and virtual media events
- Convey complex information around issues, adeptly dealing with difficult media situations (misperceptions)
- Research and develop relationships (e.g., networking and via social media) with the new generation of media influencers
- Pitch and secure stories with key bloggers and traditional media
- Work on multiple projects at one time
- Provide strategic counsel and support development of media strategies and plans for clients and new business
- Immerse yourself in clients’ industries, brands and past media coverage to lead to strategically minded plans
- Participate in client brainstorms and lead in the selling-in of Agency points of view
- Be an integral part of growing existing business and participating in new business pitches for the agency
- Hold and set a high bar for smart and sound media ideas
- Collaborate with G4 team members (creative, planning and digital experts) to develop integrated programs and provide media leadership
- Stay on top of industry best practices, client and competitor brand activity, and ensure Golin delivers game-changing ideas and solutions
What You Have:
- 8-10 years of media relations experience. Experience with travel, leisure, and/or luxury brands is required
- BA/BS in Journalism, English, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field
- Experience securing regional/local coverage in both traditional media (newspapers, magazines, TV) and online media (bloggers) a must
- Good understanding and daily usage of social media
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and media monitoring, tracking and reporting tools such as Cision, Tweetdeck, Radian6 and Sysomos
- Expert in Associated Press style
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
- A collaborative spirit, results driven with the capacity to manage multiple priorities and work against deadlines
- Deep media relationships and proven success at garnering branded results for clients across earned, owned and paid media
- A strong understanding of the media landscape in the categories of travel, leisure, and luxury
Golin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Golin recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.