As a Practice Respiratory Therapist you will perform comprehensive respiratory assessment and respiratory therapy as prescribed by a physician. Provide patient/family with respiratory therapy education. Prepare, operate and maintain respiratory test/care equipment.
• Performs comprehensive respiratory assessment.
• Utilizes assessment data to determine patient’s actual or potential problems.
• Performs bedside pulmonary function studies as per physician’s order.
• Collaborates with physicians on patient’s plan of care.
• Evaluates patient’s responses to respiratory care.
• Utilizes a process in delivering care to assigned patients.
• Performs physical chest therapy (cupping) to loosen and mobilize secretions and mucus in the lungs and clears airway blockage in the patient’s respiratory system, as needed.
• Assists in Pulmonary Stress Testing, when necessary.
• Performs standard suctioning techniques as indicated, collecting the appropriate, requested specimens.
• Implements ventilator management/weaning protocols.
• Performs bronchial hygiene and airways care procedures.
• Collects blood for PH gas analysis, notifies physicians of results and performs appropriate changes in ventilator parameters.
• Implements, monitors, and maintains non-invasive mechanical ventilation. Monitors gas exchange via non-invasive measures including pulse oximetry and capnography.
• Assists in the transport of mechanically ventilated patients with artificial airways.
• Administers oxygen and humidification therapy as per physician’s order and department policy. Initiates, monitors and adjusts parameters on continuous mechanical ventilation.
• Responds to cardiopulmonary emergencies and renders care as per ACLS/BCLS standards.
• Provides emergent airway care including intubation, as per department policy.
• Implements ventilator management adhering to protocols as per department and Intensive Care Unit standards.
• Provides patient/family with respiratory therapy education, as ordered.
• Completes departmental paperwork as specified for each assignment completed and assists with inventory control.
• Adheres to established infection control protocols and fire safety protocols.
• High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
• Certificate of completion from an accredited respiratory therapy program, required.
• Licensed in Respiratory Therapy Technician in NY State, required.
• Advanced or Basic Life Support certification, required.
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
Please note: North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment.Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.