Prepared Foods General Staff
Department: Prepared Foods
Reports to: Prepared Foods Management
Division/Status: Bargaining Unit, Non-Exempt, Grade 2
Prepared Date: April 2019
Location: South End
This position provides base-level staffing and support for the Prepared Foods department. Duties include but are not limited to: department ware washing and sanitation, food preparation, food packaging and storage, maintenance and cleanliness of all department areas, and storage of paper goods and miscellaneous supplies. The General Staff also provides excellent customer service to all City Market shoppers.
Non-exempt, work directed by others. Decisions focus on individual responsibilities within relatively narrow guidelines, yet can affect customer satisfaction.
This position has access to information necessary to perform job tasks and is expected to treat City Market employee and customer service interactions with appropriate discretion.
Reporting to Prepared Foods Management, the Prepared Foods General Staff is responsible for providing the highest level of service possible to our customers, vendors, co-workers and community. This position is also required to maintain the highest standards of professionalism and contribute towards a positive work environment that requires the highest standard of personal conduct.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or attributes required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Adhere to policies as outlined in the City Market’s Employee Guide.
- Familiarize yourself with and adhere to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Be proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development while having a curiosity and desire to learn. Attend all required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops.
- Follow all department policies and procedures in order for City Market to adhere to all State, Federal and OSHA regulations.
- Support City Market’s Global Ends, Values, Co-op Principles and Diversity Statement.
- Maintain optimum sanitation.
- Create the highest quality product using approved recipes and cooking techniques.
- Greet and offer assistance to customers in a prompt and friendly manner.
- Understand recipes and food preparation in the Prepared Foods department to be able to maintain product quality and consistency and answer customers’ and co-workers’ questions.
- Maintain appropriate stocking levels for all stations, cases, and buffet areas.
- Maintain Prepared Foods department cleanliness in all service and production areas at all times.
- Maintain and effectively operate PLU scales.
- Regularly communicate departmental needs to Shift Coordinators and Prepared Food Management.
sthe food bars are consistently and constantly kept clean and full of food.
scoolers and reach-ins clean and product rotated.
sto maintain attractive displays and rotation of fresh and prepared foods in all areas. Check s“sell by dates” and product quality both in refrigerated cases and kitchen coolers.
- Be responsible for safety in the workplace by creating a safe work environment, reporting safety concerns to a manager and adhering to all safety rules and regulations. Assures use of any PPE (personal protective equipment) when working with caustic chemicals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Core Co-op Competencies
- Sense of humor!
- Be a team player. A team player is one who has the “willingness to consider the effects of one’s own decisions on others and has the ability to focus on the larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns.”
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork, compassion and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, following the proper channels as outlined by supervisor(s) as well as genuine active listening skills.
- Ability to follow through on commitments and having a high sense of personal and professional accountability.
- A consistent and genuine ability to project a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, remain calm, think quickly, prioritize effectively and problem solve within established guidelines.
- Ability to speak, read and understand the English language and carry out complex instructions.
- Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends and occasional late nights.
- Six months of work experience required.
- Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry preferred.
- This job operates in a kitchen environment, housed with equipment such as ovens, stoves, dishwashers, slicers, coffee machines, steamers, mixers, chef’s knives, etc. The employee is frequently exposed to heat, steam, fire and other hazards. Noise level is moderate to loud as can be expected in a busy retail environment. May be exposed to various temperature changes and work environments, including frequently working with and in freezers and coolers. This position requires the performance of repetitive tasks as well as significant lifting, walking, standing, moving, carrying and stocking product. May be required to work in high, precarious places. Expected to lift up to 50lbs regularly and up to 80lbs occasionally and with assistance.