Free YMCA Membership!
Preschool Assistant Teacher is responsible for the daily operation of a designated licensed preschool child care program. This includes providing quality childcare, fostering achievement, encouraging belonging, acting as a positive role model for children and other staff, while developing and implementing thematic age appropriate activities.
- Facilitates socialization, participation and interaction of all participants through active involvement in safe, fun and developmentally appropriate activities in a licensed preschool child are program; provides adaptations based on individual needs and utilizes positive behavior guidance techniques with participants.
- Implements developmentally appropriate program curriculum and coordinates supplies for designated program(s).
- Assures compliance with accreditation, licensing and YMCA program standards when applicable. Ensures accountability, safety, quality and consistency. Maintains proper records/department files.
- Trains, provides guidance to and directs preschool assistant teachers and volunteers as needed. Reports and performance concerns or policy violations to supervisor immediately.
- Performs designated first responder responsibilities as needed. Knows/reviews all safety rules and emergency procedures. Manages emergencies, unusual circumstances and behavior. Completes proper report forms and communicates all incidents requiring disciplinary action to supervisor.
- Assists in ensuring program operates within budget and follows business service policies and procedures.
- Knows and understands child care programs, department policies and emergency procedures and is able to clearly explain said information to members.
- Increases member retention by creating personalized member experiences and positive relationships with and among members, staff, volunteers and/or guests. Creates a supportive and uplifting community environment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Related experience as a teacher in a licensed preschool or early childhood education center preferred.
- Lead Teacher classification recognized by Wisconsin State Licensing requirements.
- Knowledge of general child growth and development, learning theories, and developmentally appropriate activities for children required.
- Requires ability to professionally and effectively communicate with members, staff and supervisors; maintain confidentiality and exchange accurate information.
- Requires ability to effectively interact with, lead, and motivate members who have a variety of abilities and needs.
- Must possess reliable transportation for travel when required.
- Must posses and maintain within the indicated time frame:
- CPR/AED and First Aid training within 30 days of start date.
- Y orientation, Child Abuse Prevention, Bloodborne Pathogens, Epi Pen, and Shaken Baby Syndrome training within 60 days of start date.