Applied Research Associates, Inc. is seeking a Principal Aerospace Engineer to provide on-site support in support of a Department of Defense (DoD) customer. Responsibilities include analyzing aerospace product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine designs, which can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods. Applicant will provide technical expertise and support of manufacturing as a key member of customer’s review team. The candidate will advise and support customer leadership on the formulation and coordination of DoD policies, standards, and activities.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide subject matter expertise to customers in technology development, sensor-specific subsystem development, and new concept development to government customer on space and propulsion systems.
- Research and validate candidate solutions proposed by contractors.
- Interpret client manufacturing needs and make recommendations in accordance with DoD systems engineering guidance
- Work intimately with teams supporting research and analysis in microelectronics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, autonomy, energy and power, software engineering, networking, communication, cyber, electronic warfare, aerial/ground/naval platforms, biotechnology, and space systems
- Identify programmatic and technical risk of aerospace systems and provide actionable recommendations with the objective of assessing research programs and generating risk mitigation plans and strategies.
- Work intimately with teams supporting research and analysis in microelectronics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, autonomy, energy and power, software engineering, networking, communication, cyber, electronic warfare, aerial/ground/naval platforms, biotechnology, and space systems.
- Provide technical insight to sensor development.
- Make recommendations on component selection and packaging for low-SWAP (Space, Weight, and Power) systems, designed for stressing environments.
- Research state-of-the-art component technologies and sensor concepts/capabilities
- Evaluate concept designs and system integration strategies.
- Author system level requirements and coordinate proper decomposition to lower level requirements.
- Review documents and procedures, requirements flowdown, verification methodologies, calibration plans, Concept of Operations (CONOPS), Interface Control Documents (ICDs) and test plans to ensure program success.
- Review program for high risk areas and recommend mitigation approaches.
- Conduct modeling and simulation exercises as needed.
- Collaborate with team members, development contractors, and customer forums.
- Investigate innovative and emerging technologies to incorporate into analysis.
- Refine and develop measures of effectiveness, improvements to system environments, and creation of new procedures to support all facets of testing and operations.
- Conduct user outreach and research new concept designs to solve hard problems.
- Requires Bachelor’s degree (in Aerospace Engineering or related field) and 12-15 years of related experience or Master’s Degree with 9-11 years of experience.
- Experience in concept development, requirements definition, and trade studies for new systems.
- Experience with understanding physics in supporting operational platforms.
- Experience across multiple types of sensors (e.g. acoustic, radio-frequency (RF), sonar, radar, ladar, lidar, electro-optical (EO), infrared (IR), multi-spectral (MSI), hyperspectral (HSI), other unique concepts).
- Experience with sensor development, specifically systems that require low-SWAP components and operation in stressing environments (e.g. high structural loads, wide variance in thermal loading, etc.).
- Experience in concept development, requirements definition, and trade studies for innovative new systems.
- Experience with multiple types of platforms.
- Desired experience with sensor integration.
- Familiarity with system modeling.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Working proficiency using MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), MS Outlook, MS Project
- Ability to accommodate change through new tasking, and new tools.
- Desire to develop and apply creative solutions to a wide range of problems.
- US citizen with a minimum DoD Top Secret clearance and the ability to obtain SCI access
- Current DoD TS/SCI security clearance.
- Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering, or closely related field with P.E Certification.
- 10 years of related expertise in one or more of the DoD technology modernization areas to include Hypersonics (offensive and counter); Directed Energy; Microelectronics; Space (offensive and defensive); Autonomy; Fully Networked Command, Control, & Communications (FNC3); Quantum (including encryption and computing); Cyber (offensive and defensive); Machine Learning (including Artificial Intelligence); Bio-technology; Assured Positioning, Navigation, and Timing (PNT); Additive/Advanced Manufacturing Technology; Advanced Computing/Data Analytics; Aviation Technology: Compact Mission Power/Thermal Management Systems; Logistics Technology; Materials Technology; and Signature Management Technology
- Familiarity with MATLAB, UNIX based scripting, and/or C++ programming.
- Extensive knowledge of one or more of the following: Modeling & Simulation, technology prototyping, Hardware/Software Design, Development and Testing, Mission and Systems Engineering, Operations Research, Material Sciences, Microelectronics, Autonomous Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Energy & Power, and Offensive/Defense Cyber, and Electronic Warfare
- Knowledge of network security, including cross-domain solutions and encryption
- Knowledge of DoD and industry architecture frameworks
- Exceptional analytical skills and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated superb organization, decision making, and verbal and written communication skills
- High level of self-initiative and self-motivation with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to work effectively in small team settings to solve complex problems
- Experience developing and deploying global communications networks2 years of experience evaluate concept designs and system integration strategies.
- Previous Experience authoring system level requirements and coordinated proper decomposition to lower level requirements.
- Thorough understanding of requirements flowdown, verification methodologies, calibration plans, Concept of Operations (CONOPS), Interface Control Documents (ICDs) and test plans to ensure program success.
- Supported modeling and simulation exercises as needed.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with team members, development contractors, and customer forums.
This position is contingent upon award of a contract expected in Spring 2020 supporting the Department of Defense.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1200 professionals. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com.
Please apply at www.careers.ara.com for the Principal Aerospace Engineer position