Job Title: Assistant Principal, Elementary Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Reports to: Principal Pay Grade: Professional 103-210 day calendar
Dept./School: TBA Date Revised: 1/2021
Assist the school principal in overall administration of instructional program and campus level operations so that maximum student learning is accomplished and demonstrated. Coordinate assigned student activities and services.
Texas assistant principal or other appropriate Texas certificate
Certified Texas Teacher Evaluation & Support System (T-TESS) appraiser
Thorough understanding of school operations
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Ability to coordinate campus support operations
Bilingual preferred but not required
Five years experience as a classroom teacher
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Participate in the development and evaluation of educational programs.
- Encourage and support the development of innovative instructional programs, helping teachers pilot such efforts when appropriate.
- Promote the use of technology in the teaching/learning process.
- Coordinate all local and state testing.
- As directed by the principal, observe and monitor classroom instruction to support teachers and ensure appropriate instructional strategies are utilized and that relevant learning opportunities are provided for all students.
- Promote a positive, caring climate for learning.
- Assist the principal in supporting student achievement efforts by promoting and communicating high expectations for students and staff.
- Deal sensitively and fairly with persons from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Communicate effectively with students and staff.
- Participate in the development of campus improvement plans with staff, parents, and community members.
- Help principal develop, maintain, and use information systems to maintain and records to track progress on campus performance objectives and academic excellence indicators.
- Assist the principal in formulating policy and procedures and in coordinating, planning, and articulating the overall educational program of the school.
- Observe employee performance, record observations, and conduct evaluation conferences. Serve as an appraiser for designated teacher appraisal system.
- Assist the principal in interviewing, selecting, and orienting new staff.
Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management
- Supervise operations in principal’s absence.
- Help plan daily school activities by participating in the development of class schedules, teacher assignments, and extracurricular activity schedules.
- Work with department heads and faculty to compile annual budget requests based on documented program needs.
- Requisition supplies, textbooks, and equipment; check inventory; maintain records; and verify receipts for materials.
- Assist with safety inspections and safety-drill practice activities.
- Coordinate transportation, custodial, cafeteria, and other support services.
- Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rule, and board policy.
- Ensure that students are adequately supervised during non-instructional periods.
- Help to develop a student discipline management system that results in positive student behavior.
- Ensure that school rules are uniformly observed and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable.
- Supervise reporting and monitoring of student attendance and work with appropriate staff on follow-up and improvement efforts.
- Conduct conferences on student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers.
- Articulate the school’s mission to community and solicit its support in realizing mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of school-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
- Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
Professional Growth and Development
- Pursue professional development activities that align with District goals and initiatives and current professional research.
- Comply with the Professional Code of Ethics and Standard Practices for Texas Educators.
Share supervisory and evaluation responsibilities for professional and other staff as assigned by the principal. Supervise teachers, day custodians, paraprofessionals, clerical personnel and others as assigned.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Work with frequent interruptions. Occasional district wide travel; occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.