Medtronic is the world’s premier medicalcompany, delivering solutions that benefit patients around the globe.Medtronic’s Mission is to Restore Health, Alleviate Pain and Extend Life.
MedtronicTempe Campus (MTC) is Medtronic's center of excellence for the design andmanufacturing of extremely reliable, extremely small, extremely low-power electroniccircuits for human implant. TheManufacturing Automation team enables operations to achieve those extremes in acost-effective and repeatable manner -- day in and day out.
MTCis seeking an excellent manufacturing automation system engineer to expand our suite ofinternal tools and automation systems that support Medtronic Tempe 24x7manufacturing organization. An idealcandidate for this position will be a self-motivated individual with a thoroughunderstanding of current manufacturing automation software and technology aswell as proficiency in the programming languages mentioned below. The candidatemust have strong problem solving and analytic skills in addition to excellentwritten and oral communication competencies.
This principal automationengineer will design and develop automation system to coordinate the interactionbetween equipment and operators as well as collect manufacturing engineeringdata. The principal automation engineeris expected to play an active role in working with manufacturing operations andprocess engineering to specify, design,build, and validate new automated manufacturing solutions.
Responsibilitiesinclude, but are not limited to:
- Integrate manufacturingequipment into MTC’s standard automation framework.
- Drive the softwaredevelopment lifecycle (SDLC):
- Create project plans andmanage project schedule, budget, risks, deliverables and quality.
- Meet with operations andengineering users, often on the production floor, to build businessrequirements and use-cases.
- Create highly visualdocumenation (flowcharts, process maps, sequence diagrams) to help allstakeholders reach a common understanding.
- Develop the software inclose communication with end users. Insome cases, the candidate will manage the work of contract developers.
- Create system test plan andtest cases; execute test cases and document test results to support systemvalidation activities
- Create and execute unittests using automated techniques or manual processing
- Provide close support tomanufacturing operations after the software is released.
- Support manufacturing
- Analyzeproduction/manufacturing problems/issues related to automation equipment and softwareto determine root cause.
- Provide technicalsupport for 24x7 Manufacturing Operations.
- Innovate and collaborate
- Expand MTC's automationframework with new capabilities.
- Work with ProductDevelopment team on automation system enhancements needed to support theintroduction of new manufacturing processes/products.
- Influence the selectionprocess for new manufacturing equipment, based on integration/communicationsrequirements and/or standards.
- Collaborate withequipment integration teams at Medtronic manufacturing sites throughout theworld, including Minneapolis, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, and manymore locations.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer ScienceEngineering, Electrical Engineering or a relevant engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in automationsolutions development or an advanced degree with 4 years of experience.
- MS Visual Studio programming experiences (C#)
- SQL server configuration and support
- Linux and Unix OS experience
- SQL programming experience including ability towrite queries, Stored Procedures and ETL for Oracle and MS SQL databases
- Web services programming experience using WCFframework and SOA architecture
- Understanding of software quality practices
- Experience with software source code repository tool (ex. Git, Subversion, MS TFS)
- Previous experience with automated manufacturing equipment and programmingcollaborative robots
- Experience with SECS/GEMprotocol
- Experience with troubleshooting automated equipment, machine vision and equipment programmable logic controller (PLC)
- Experience in working with Manufacturing Execution System (MES),FACTORYworks
- Lean manufacturing and Medical device manufacturing experience
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)