MITRE’s Health Transformation Technical Center is dedicated to improving healthcare through strategic and technology-based transformation. We advise federal agencies through all phases of evolution of their healthcare transformation, from high-level strategic planning to program acquisition and oversight. MITRE is currently supporting multiple projects at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. We have a need for a health economist who can assess the “big picture” and develop actionable strategic solutions. The candidate best suited for the position will thrive in a highly dynamic environment, easily performing independent work, as well as working comfortably in team settings. The position will include strategic and tactical planning, interfacing with customers, project management, and interactions with both public and private sector entities in advising Federal health agencies on a portfolio of healthcare projects.
• Work collaboratively with senior government sponsors and MITRE colleagues to develop a problem definition and draft documents for economic impact analyses
•Develop new economic models and perform statistical and economic analyses
• Present findings from economic impact analysis work in non-technical language to senior government sponsors and interdisciplinary teams of MITRE colleagues (both verbally and writing)
• Contribute to the development of regulatory impact analyses sections of proposed and final rules regulated to physician payment models
• Deliver strategic advice and counsel to HHS, DOD, VA, and other healthcare entities for the advancement of health outcomes.
•Oversee the economic impact of work of multiple MITRE partner organizations(subcontractors) to ensure that the analyses are conducted with strong analytic methods and communicated clearly, and meet tight timelines
•Develop working relationships within MITRE across all levels of staff, management and executives to leverage the corporation's deep experience across a broad set of domains.
•Participate in and lead highly functional and creative teams while building knowledge and working relationships across the Corporation.
•Serve as a resource to other staff in health economics area, including MITRE health care experts with backgrounds in law, health IT and other fields.
Required Skills: The candidate will demonstrate the following:
• Graduate degree in health economics, behavioral economicspublic health, or a related field with 5 or more years of experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate analyses and findings to various stakeholders
• Ability to clearly present findings from economic analyses (verbally and in writing) to senior government officials
• Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams
• Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to lead, manage, and conduct multiple types of technical and economic analyses (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, statistical)
• Ability to create high quality work products with excellent attention to detail
• Experience in briefing senior OMB and CMS officials about economic analysis
• Prior experience in conducting regulatory impact analyses
• Ph.D. in health economics, behavioral economics,public health or related field
•Consultancy and customer relationship interaction experience
•Experience in conducting and overseeing statistical and economic analyses using large administrative datasets from CMS
•Extensive knowledge of CMS health care payment models
•Experience as a federal contractor officer representative or similar role