The Principal Process Engineer role leads the scouting and development of process technology platforms. Reporting to the Director of Process Engineering, you will research and validate capabilities to improve our current operations or promote innovation. You will be a project leader advocating for technology development, and a technical mentor, coach, and resource for process engineers. The projects will support our Science & Technology team, which is the long-term research arm of Conagra R&D. The S&T team focuses on identification, vetting, and implementation of ingredient, package, and process technology to promote future innovation, cost savings, and quality improvement.
- Develop an understanding of the process technology needs and capabilities across Conagra, especially in plant-based protein
- Identify and champion technologies that can be adapted for our needs
- Be the lead process development resource for major projects that may span multiple or new business opportunities
- Champion the appropriate use of MOPD/VSU tools across work
- Be a technical mentor for junior engineers in the group
- May have responsibility for direct management of technicians, interns, or other junior engineers
- Ensure all processing specifications developed by engineers in designated platform are accurate, complete, and effective in ensuring the factory makes quality product at target costs
- BS with 10+ years, MS with 7+ years, or PhD with 5+ years of relevant work experience in Chemical, Food, Biochemical, or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience in food process technology and knowledge of food science, food processing and product development process, with an understanding of food/package interaction
- Project management skills and documentation discipline
- Ability to troubleshoot and execute root cause analysis with corrective actions
- Experience with food safety, sanitary design, and equipment cleaning.
- Experience with sensory testing methodologies and translating consumer insights into technical solutions.
- Basic financial understanding, to ensure profitability optimization and project budgeting skills
- Knowledge of capital engineering practices
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time. Must be able to travel as a responsible company representative.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Work in pilot plant and production plant floor environment.
- Exposure to manufacturing environments for periodic extended work days to include: loud noise, heat, cold, wet, and slippery conditions.
- Walk and stand for long periods of time.
- Climb with stairs or ladders.
- Bending or crawling; can move safely and freely around machinery.
- Driving a company or rental vehicle as needed.
We care about your total well-being and will support you with the following, subject to your location and role:
- Health: Medical, dental and vision insurance, company-paid life, accident and disability insurance
- Wealth: great salaries, matching 401(k) and stock purchase plan
- Growth: online courses, virtual and classroom development experiences
- Balance: paid-time off , flexible work-schedules
Conagra Brands is one of North America's leading branded food companies. We have a rich heritage of making great food, and a team that’s passionate about innovation and growth. Conagra offers choices for every occasion through iconic brands, such as Birds Eye®, Marie Callender's®, Banquet®, Healthy Choice®, Slim Jim®, Reddi-wip®, and Vlasic®, and emerging brands, including Angie's® BOOMCHICKAPOP®, Duke's®, Earth Balance®, Gardein®, and Frontera®.
We pride ourselves on having the most impactful, energized and inclusive culture in the food industry. For more information, visit www.conagrabrands.com.
Conagra Brands is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.