Build and provide technical leadership to a program focused on designing novel delivery system platforms for the development of innovative oral nicotine containing reduced risk products for a Fortune 200 Company with some of the most iconic brands! Do you have an advanced degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, food science, or a closely related engineering or scientific field along with at least 10 years of meaningful experience in food, pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, oral nicotine products or similar industries? If so, we want to speak with you! We are currently looking for a Principal Scientist, Formulation/Delivery in our Product Development group in Richmond, VA.
The ideal candidate will be a specialist in formulation science, with knowledge of groundbreaking technologies and science with the ability to translate the science and technologies into products that expand our reduced risk product portfolio.
In this role, you will:
• Drive development of novel nicotine and/or flavor delivery technologies/formulations that can be integrated into product formats that provide adult tobacco consumers 21+ with sensorial experiences that facilitate transition to noncombustible alternatives.
o Serve as a technical specialist in the application of traditional and novel methodologies to achieve controlled release profiles.
o Employ a broad approach that incorporates adult tobacco consumer 21+ requirements, regulatory pathway considerations and scale-up potential, across the entire product development lifecycle.
o Coordinate evaluation of technologies with internal cross-functional partners to generate data and insights that guide product development, including adult tobacco consumer 21+ research, analytical and physical characterization, pre-clinical, clinical, process engineering and regulatory teams.
• Identify and establish co-development partnerships with external researchers and partners who are at the forefront of designing controlled delivery technologies for the food, pharmaceutical, nutraceuticals or other relevant industries.
• Provide direction to building bench or lab scale capabilities and work with partners for creation of prototypes across all stages of product development.
• Mentor and direct the work of junior scientists on the team by crafting an inclusive environment that drives learning and growth.
• Drive due diligence of traditional and emerging delivery technologies and represent product development on teams that make technical and strategic recommendations to senior management.
• Improve company’s external engagement and competitive advantage through patents, publications, presentations and active roles in scientific organizations.
We want you to have:
• Advanced degree in chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, food science, chemical engineering, or a related scientific or engineering subject area.
• 10+ years of relevant experience in food, pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, oral nicotine products or similar industries.
• Demonstrated expertise in leading cross-functional teams that integrate traditional and novel delivery systems to build innovative products that achieve controlled release and targeted delivery profiles.
• Possesses knowledge of areas of formulation science and the vision to use synergistic/antagonistic effects across these areas during product development (e.g. administration route, release mechanisms, physical/ chemical properties of materials, ingredients and matrices, physiological interactions, etc.).
• Validated ability to synthesize information from multiple scientific fields to generate insights to guide product design and development - Analytical & physical characterization, in-vitro & in-vivo model systems, PBPK modeling, sensory psychophysiology, consumer research, etc.
• Recognized as a subject matter authority in the area of food or drug design with confirmed ability to network and build “connect & develop” programs with leading CRO’s and researchers.
• Proficiency in product stewardship principles and related FDA regulations.
• Strong track record of patents, publications and scientific/regulatory engagements.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit-sharing programs, as well as a relocation assistance package.
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that leads the premier tobacco companies in the United States. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, Altria Group holds diversified positions across tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis. Our tobacco companies include some of the most enduring names in American business: Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton, and Nat Sherman. We have 35 percent ownership of JUUL Labs, Inc., the nation’s leading e-vapor company. And we have an 80% interest in Helix Innovations, which manufactures and markets on!, an oral tobacco-derived nicotine pouch product. We complement our total tobacco business with our ownership of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates and our significant equity investment in Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's largest brewer. Altria’s significant stake in Cronos Group, a leading global cannabinoid company, represents an exciting new global growth opportunity.
At Altria, we recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. It’s only through diverse perspectives and insights that we will be able to take on the important challenges we will face to dramatically transform our business – and our industry. The work opportunities and experiences, combined with training, development, and advancement programs, allow our employees to achieve their full potential and deliver superior business results. We have the opportunity to make more progress on harm reduction in the next 10 years than we have in the past 50 years. Join us as we work together to shape a better future for adult tobacco consumers, our employees, and our shareholders. Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer.