Launched in 2000, Hotwire is one of the earliest innovators in the online travel arena and part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
Our roots are in California, and we also have offices in Seattle along with an important and fast-growing product & technology presence in Gurgaon, India. Hotwire has the energy and pace of a startup, plus the stability and backing of the incredible Expedia family of companies. Hotwire’s culture centers around delivering value to customers and supply partners by being passionate about building great products with the newest technologies available. We pride ourselves on our organizational transparency, a bias for action and a customer-centric approach to everything we do.
Hotwire differentiates itself as a brand within the travel marketplace by offering a unique core value proposition for customers and suppliers with our opaque pricing model. This concept revolves around offering great bargains on hotel room nights without sharing the specific name or location of the hotel until the booking is complete. By giving this flexibility to our suppliers, we can offer great value to our customers. Hotwire also offers a full retail suite of other travel products that can fulfill virtually any customer travel need.
Do you love building creative, high-scale data products using a diverse set of state of the art technologies? Can you design and develop next generation real-time data pipelines and self-service analytics? Does solving challenging problems at speed and scale excite you? Would you like to be part of a company that is product centric and data driven? Do you want to be a part of a culture that fosters test & learn and OneTeam approach across the company? If so, this opportunity is a great fit for you.
As the Principal SDE for Lodging, you will play a key role defining and executing an ambitious company level lodging services platform strategy based on real-time data and AI. You will work with a dynamic group of product managers, architects and engineers to deliver a robust suite of micro-services applications for the lodging domain at enterprise scale. You will provide technical thought leadership for a global, dynamic, and growing engineering organization with opportunities to still get your hands dirty as we build our next generation, multi-tenant data platform.
What you will do :
- Design, build and support scalable and durable micro-service solutions in the lodging domain using cloud based technologies in an agile manner.
- Lead a diverse team of engineers, spearheading the realization of a new highly available and low maintenance suite of lodging domain services.
- Collaborate across Product Management, Architecture and Engineering teams within the lodging domain, across Hotwire, and across EG.
- Provide thought leadership, technical direction and architectural input into product vision and roadmap development.
- Develop a network of internal, strategic partnerships with Product, Business and Engineering leaders across Hotwire and EG data producers, data platform and other data engineering organizations.
- Ensure the technical teams understand strategic goals, product and future technology roadmaps.
- Provide technical coaching and mentorship across engineering team fostering an environment of innovation, quality and devops.
- Drive ongoing training and development of engineering staff and ensure the continuous development of the technical skills of the team.
- Drive proof of concepts and pilots to accelerate the exploration and onboarding of new technologies and solutions to solve business problems.
Who you are :
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related engineering field
- Experience building high scale distributed cloud based microservice suites.
- Experience with JMS based messaging solutions as well as commit log streaming using Kafka.
- Batch and/or stream processing experience using Spark, K-Streams, Flink
- Experience building low-latency data product APIs
- Professional development experience in Java
- Experience with of all aspects of data systems (both traditional and modern) including database design, performance optimization, SQL and NoSQL DB solutions
- Experience with effective Devops development practices
- Strong background in third-party cloud services, especially Amazon AWS
- 10+ years industry experience in full-stack software development across multiple technologies, languages and frameworks
- UI development using React.JS a plus
- Effective coaching and leadership skills and an ability to successfully manage engineering projects across a diverse organization with global decentralized teams
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to look at solutions in creative and unconventional ways, recognize opportunities to innovate, and engage partners in a vision and strategy
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.