Principal Software Engineer - Platform Development�
Our mission at the Allen Institute for Brain Science is to accelerate the understanding of how the human brain works in health and disease. Using a team science approach, we strive to drive technological innovations and discover fundamental brain properties through the integration of experiments and simulation. We generate large-scale neuroscience datasets, online search and analysis utilities, and APIs.
The Allen Institute for Brain Science is working on an exciting initiative to re-structure and map our vast quantities of neuroscience-centric data into a unified schema, and to develop a knowledge graph. We seek to lay the technical foundation to support supervised and unsupervised content discovery, enable deep data mining, and support new interactive modes of engagement with our data. We are seeking a Principal Software engineer to join the Data and Technology software development team.
Our data is freely and openly shared with the public at www.brain-map.org.�
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will architect, design and develop innovative, high performance, robust, scalable, and extensible software solutions. You will collaboratively lead, design, develop and deploy our data platform solutions establishing key capabilities and features. This role requires wide and deep technical expertise, domain proficiency, and leadership across multiple domains. Typical activities include leading technical discussions, technical and functional requirements analysis, solution design, and software development.
- Bachelor�s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10-15 years of professional industry experience with software and platform development
- Expertise designing and building data models for large data sets using relational and NoSQL databases
- Expertise in service-oriented architecture and API-driven systems
- Experience with RDF, OWL, Cypher and other contemporary graph-based query languages
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
- Domain knowledge in biological science
- Expert industry knowledge of data engineering systems, data models, and data structures
- Experience designing and building data solutions using linked property graphs, RDF, or other graph-based databases in support of shipping products.
- Enthusiasm for working closely with cross-functional colleagues and stakeholders
*Please note, this opportunity does not sponsor work visas and has no relocation assistance *
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.