MKS Instruments is looking for a Principal Test Engineer with a strong multidisciplinary (Mechanical, Electrical & Software) technical background in module/system level test design, ideally in semiconductor processing, low to high volume mix environment, to join our Test Engineering team.
As a Principal Test Engineer, you will use your broad expertise to architect manufacturing test solutions, integrate hardware and software, and validate the test solution’s readiness to be released for use in our manufacturing facilities and/or our suppliers’ facilities. A successful candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and provide leadership to engineers and technicians, in a fast paced, dynamic environment and work on multiple concurrent projects. This person must also be highly self-motivated, have an intense customer focus and work well as part of a team.
- Design, develop, document, qualify and deploy flexible, modular and scalable test systems (Hardware & Software) and associated fixturing for in-house use and/or at suppliers.
- Design, develop, document and deploy the mechanical framework, tooling, fixturing, vacuum & pressure plumbing & gas panel designs to house semiconductor process equipment using SolidWorks 3D CAD software, for test platforms deployed throughout the MKS MA facilities.
- Interface with Manufacturing & Product Design Engineers, as well as other cross-functional teams as required on new system designs and continuous improvement projects.
- Create, update and communicate project development plans and lead recurring project status reviews.
- Define test system preventative maintenance plans and calibration processes as required.
- Communicate effectively, in both oral and written form, critical technical information regarding test software, system design and performance.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, with the ability to shift priorities based on company needs.
- Create and maintain test stand/process documentation, including schematics, bill of materials, mechanical layout, mechanical modeling, facility requirements, assembly drawings, set-up instructions, PM/calibration plans, test procedures, etc.
- Create, execute and document verification & validation plans (Gauge R&R, Bias testing), and generate/communicate technical final reports.
- Provide sustaining technical support (hardware and software) for legacy or new test platforms deployed throughout the MKS MA facilities.
- Perform root cause analysis on test failures, lead corrective action efforts and communicate results.
- B.S. or higher Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Software Engineering or Physics, with 8+ years’ experience in automated test equipment design, heavy emphasis on Mechanical Design.
- Demonstrated proficiency with SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of semiconductor processing, sensors or multidisciplinary systems is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with electrical system design (AC/DC, analog/digital circuits) and system wiring is required.
- Experience with fieldbuses (DeviceNet, ProfiBus, EtherCat, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience with pressure & vacuum measurement systems/equipment is required.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills and able to work in a team oriented environment.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication (both verbal and written) skills is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with National Instruments LabView platform is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with laboratory test equipment (oscilloscope, power supply, DAQ devices, etc.) is required.
- Experience with SPC implementation, conducting MSA’s, and data analysis is required.
- Experience with revision control (Perforce, Agile) and bug-tracking (Jira) systems is required.
Principal only, please.