Counsel, Academic Licensing and Regulatory
Legal Department | Santa Clara, CA
We are currently searching for an attorney with expertise in state educational licensing regulations and certification (the “Regulations”) processes. The position will be responsible for strategy and tactics to ensure compliance by the Company and its institutions with the Regulations. The ideal candidate will have a track record of managing educational regulatory filings and compliance requirements for companies or academic institutions. Candidate must be able to take a strong leadership role in regulatory and compliance matters and must be able to work in a highly entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment.
- Ensure that the company conducts business in compliance with applicable education laws and regulations by owning the state-by-state registration and renewal processes.
- Create and maintain processes and systems that streamline regulatory compliance efforts including the development and creation of internal policies
- Development and implementation of a scalable process for the review and tracking of marketing, advertising and other publications for compliance with the Regulations
- Compile regulatory information, including new/amended laws, regulations, and rulings, and maintains these resources and information for reference by Company senior management
- Partner with other departments and company leaders to develop compliant policies and practices that drive outcomes for students
- Provide counsel on data security and privacy matters related to student data
- Stay informed and advise on potential impacts of changing education and ed-tech laws and regulations
- License to practice law in California or qualify as registered in-house counsel
- Relevant experience working with state regulators
- Demonstrated experience across diverse and relevant legal sectors
- Excellent self-motivation and organizational skills; ability to plan and schedule own activities and participate in or lead a team to establish goals and meet deadlines
- Clear commitment to maintaining exceptional ethical standards and high-quality work
- Exceptional communication, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
- Passion for education and our mission
- A sense of humor
The ideal candidate would also have experience with US and European data privacy laws (GDPR, CCPA), and data security issues. If appropriate, this position could expand to handle those duties.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study® which supplements their learning with step-by-step help with questions, Chegg Tutors providing 24/7 access to tutors and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California, and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on providing affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Tutors, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer