Advanced Practice Practitioner – PICU
Physician Assistant (PA) or Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP-AC)
At Children’s Health, we value the role each team member plays in helping us deliver on our mission of making life better for children. We take pride in providing a rich and rewarding career opportunities that enable team members to reach their highest potential.
Since 2009, we have held the ANCC Magnet® designation for nursing excellence. We are nationally ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World Report, serve as the primary pediatric teaching facility for University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and are recognized for quality care in every specialty.
ABOUT THE JOB:
This is a PRN Advanced Practice Provider position that functions as a health care provider within the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) for the purpose of providing age-appropriate and culturally sensitive care.
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) works interdependently with and independently within the health care team providing care that is family-centered as well as efficient, respectful of time, and fiscally responsible. This role supports the organizational mission of making life better for children by improving access to care, providing continuity of care as well as ensuring the delivery of quality care.
- The practice will involve care and management of patients in the PICU specialty setting. Care will include performing admission H & Ps, development and implementation of a plan of care in the day-to-day management of PICU patients, invasive procedures, healthcare teaching and education, and coordination of needed services and specialty consults.
- The APP manages, in collaboration with the ICU attending physician, the entire PICU inpatient course and supports the educational mission of Children’s Health through collaboration with resident and fellow trainee physicians
Due to scope of practice, chosen candidate will be an Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP-AC) or a Physician Assistant (PA. Previous pediatric experience is highly preferred and critical to success in this role as a PRN provider.
Shift Details: PRN; variable shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidaysas part of a 24/7/365 coverage model.
SOME HIGHLIGHTED RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide medical care for critically ill pediatric patients with a broad spectrum of single organ and multi-organ illnesses. Duties include the essential functions of the Advanced Practice Professional - practitioner, consultant/mentor, educator and researcher.
- Provides direct clinical care in an expanded role guided by education, clinical expertise and Collaborative Practice Agreement or Protocol that incorporates comprehensive assessment skills, diagnostic ability, critical thinking, independent decision-making, collaborative management of health and illness problems, leadership within complex systems, and the ability to critically analyze and translate research findings into practice. This includes:
- Patient history and physical examination.
- Diagnosis and patient management (both inpatient and outpatient as appropriate) including ordering and prescribing of medications and treatments:
- Orders and interprets necessary diagnostic and/or therapeutic tests.
- Patient consultation and referrals
- Evaluates patient response to interventions and modifies care plan as necessary to achieve desired outcomes
- Discharge planning.
- Anticipatory guidance regarding pediatric growth and development
- Consults as needed with other health care professionals, patients, and families in the formulation and initiation of the health care plan
- Evaluates the outcome of the patient consultation and modifies recommendations as needed to facilitate restoration of health
- Utilization of advanced knowledge to provide clinical leadership to other health care professionals through mentoring, education, and clinical consultation
- Identifies the learning needs of patients and their families and directs educational activities to meet these needs
- Recognizes educational needs of peers and staff and participates in formal and informal educational activities to meet identified needs
- Evaluates response to educational interventions, including validation of learning and understanding to determine the impact on quality of care
- Participates actively in research, independently or in collaboration with other professionals as a member of a research team, assisting in gathering data, collaborating as a research investigator or initiating research
- Reviews and utilizes current literature and research findings for evidence-based practice in the health care of patients and their families
- At least 2 years of Advanced Practice Provider experience, preferred.
- At least 2 years of pediatric experience, preferred.
- Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies (MPS) or
- Master’s (MSN) or Doctorate degree (DNP or PhD) in Nursing.
LICENSES and CERTIFICATIONS:
- If chosen candidate is an Advanced Practice Nurse:
- APRN: Current licensure as a Registered Nurse and Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in the State of Texas, required. Recognition as an Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner on APRN license, required.
- APRN: Current certification as an Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner by a national certifying body recognized by the Texas Board of Nursing, required.
- If chosen candidate is a Physician Assistant:
- PA: Current license issued by the Texas Physician Assistant Board, required.
- PA: Current certificate issued by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, required.
- All candidates:
- Current BLS (Basic Life Support-CPR) certification, required.
- Current PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) certification within 180 days of hire.
Children’s Health offers opportunities for learning and career development; competitive pay; and a comprehensive benefits program. We promote a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our team members have a voice in their work through surveys, pulses and town halls. And we honor and celebrate our staff with year-round employee appreciation events.
We invite you to learn more about Children’s Health.
Location: Dallas, Texas
Activation Date: Monday, January 13, 2020
Expiration Date: Monday, June 1, 2020