Ascend Performance Materials is expanding our Specialty Chemicals Technology and Engineering group to accelerate the launch of several breakthrough technologies over the next three years. The group also develops new products from our core process technologies, and provides flexibility to respond to the expanding needs of customers.
The Specialty Chemicals Process Development Engineer will be primarily responsible for scoping, executing, and commissioning new projects to bring new products to market. A secondary responsibility will be to improve the current product portfolio by improving quality and increasing capacity via process optimization.
The role will focus on:
- Quantification of scale-up data to size equipment from piloting, experiments, and studies
- Finding creative solutions to problems, in terms of rapid implements timetables, best alignment with customers and business needs, and lower cost
- Working closely with the Integrated Supply Chain organization, Sales/Service, and Technology, to identify and develop solutions to meet performance and flexibility needs for production and business conditions
- Process and equipment specification and design
- Process simulations and other modeling to develop and evaluate potential process and equipment design alternatives
- Working with tollers and full scale testing to access capabilities for new products
- Lead scale up from laboratory testing/piloting to commercialization
- Developing, evaluating, and implementing process and product improvement ideas and projects to existing processes
- Improving rates, quality, and yields in existing processes.
- Participating in and leading teams focused on quality initiatives
- Interacting with leading internal and external experts, vendors, and other outside consultants to develop and implement process improvements
- Providing technical guidance on areas of expertise to plant manufacturing and engineering organizations, as well as Sales and Tech Services functions
- Understanding customer needs and supporting Sales and Support functions
- Performing process HAZOP’s, RCA’s, FMEA’s, and PSR’s
- Issue work MOC’s, instructions, procedures, experiments, and training documents
- Ability to scale new processes and products from laboratory scale to commercialization
- Oversee development of process flow diagrams, heat & mass balances, piping & instrument diagrams, and economic estimates from initial concept to final design
- Development Technology packages and procedures for tolling trials
- Manage R&D and Capital stage gate processes with Six Sigma rigor and statistical methodology and use tools to drive efficiency across all programs
- Proactively manage technical milestone delivery, identify potential obstacles and issues, devise contingency plans, and engage stakeholders at necessary decision points
- Manage internal resources, vendors, consultants, and contract resources to accomplish project goals
- Maintain product and company reputation by complying with federal/state regulations and customer facing
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by enforcing procedures, rules, and regulations
- Monitor work for compliance to applicable codes and accepted engineering practices and standards
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering. Advanced degree considered a plus.
- 5+ years of combined R&D and Process Engineering experience within the chemicals/petrochemical industry. Lower level of experience will be considered on a case by case basis based on relevant experience.
- Ability to interface, orally and in writing, with employees of various disciplines and levels within various departments.
- Strong analytical and technical skills, ability to solve complex problems, ability to innovate, and a strategic business perspective.
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary and cross-functional teams to take a concept to commercialization.
- Demonstrated track record of commercializing breakthrough technologies.
- Curious and a life-long leaner.
- Knowledge of computer systems and software related to process control and optimization.
- At a minimum, candidate should have experience with Excel spreadsheet functions and layouts; JMP, SAS, or Minitab, or a similar statistical analysis program; and data collection programs. Experience with process simulation tools (Aspen, HYSYS) is a must.
- This job may require occasional travel for customer visits and internal meetings. Travel may be domestic or foreign.
Why work at Ascend?
If you are looking for a career with one of the plastics industry’s most enlightened employers, Ascend Performance Materials offers an opportunity to develop a true sense of fulfillment and pride in your achievements.
Ascend provides an exciting platform from which you, your family and your community will benefit. You’ll become a trusted member of an interdependent and safe working environment where your opinions and ideas will be encouraged and respected, regardless of your position. Working alongside a diverse range of renowned technical experts on a continuous stream of industry-leading products and technologies, you’ll find a wide variety of opportunities within our growing business for both learning and career development.
Our culture is built on a strong set of core values that foster innovation and collaboration across every level of the organization. It is a culture grounded in open relationships between every member of the Ascend team. All of this is driven by an inspirational leadership team, intently focused on maximizing the new investment in the business.
The essence of our organization is embodied in the words “inspiring everyday,” and we have built a strong and confident business with performance at its core. It will be challenging but holistically rewarding and will enable you to achieve your personal and professional aspirations.
Ascend is an organization that genuinely seeks to inspire our people to inspire others. We believe this gives Ascend a higher purpose, making it a unique work environment for you to consider when choosing career options.