Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Position: IT Process Engineer – Deployment Specialist
Discipline: Project Management
- With assistance from the Deployment Manager, coordinates and facilitates the delivery of software and modifications for deployment into the applicable software environments.
- Works with various groups to ensure coordinated effort (Project Management, Development, Technical, Deployment, Testing).
- Analyzes and measures the effectiveness of existing business processes and supports the Development team in developing sustainable, repeatable and quantifiable business process improvements.
- Creates, Tracks, and controls Technical Service Requests (TSR).
- Role typically requires 8 - 10 years of experience.
- Assist the Project Manager, Release Manager, Deployment Manager and the project team in planning and executing each release and deployment.
Supports Pre-deployment Activities, including:
- Ensure the organization's release controls are documented and well understood
- Adheres to release and deployment policy and plans and recommends enhancements as needed
- Coordinates the dress rehearsal in preparation of the final production delivery
- Coordinate and validate release package design, build and configuration (ensure packages are created, versioning is correct – adheres to naming standards)
- Reviews and confirms the final release configuration and ensures utilization of standard tools and templates
- Create deployment planning documentation and schedules and reviews with deployment participants
- Coordinate and ensure release package testing to predefined acceptance criteria
- Document a detailed deployment plan that has been reviewed and agreed to by all involved team members. Utilizes the standard template and recommends improvements as needed
- Ensure a detailed backout plan is created and included in the deployment plan
- Maintain the Deployment plan throughout the deployment event to provide accurate status
- Coordinate efforts by following the deployment plans and alerting the impacted teams as to their tasks throughout the deployment
Hypercare – Post Release
- Provide feedback on the productivity of the release and identified changes that should be made moving forward
- Record metrics for deployment to ensure within agreed SLAs
- Review SLAs and modify as needed after discussion with Release and Deployment Manager
- Support Release and Deployment manager and team in developing process maps, procedures, methods and other associated process documentation.
- Participates in process workshops with cross functional groups to document and develop optimal work processes.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to identify process gaps, gather associated data, investigate cause - effect to properly identify improvement opportunities and refine / develop KPI’s.
Roles at this level require a university / college degree. Relevant industry experience to be successful in the given role is typically 8 years.
- Prior experience managing deployments (strongly preferred)
- Oracle Utilities Solution
- Prior experience with various continuous integration software tools, including but not limited to Jenkins and Meridian (EDMS)
- Prior experience with ALM Quality Center (HP/QC) or other Application Life Cycle management tools
- Prior experience with Continuous Integration / Continuous Development / Deployment (CI/CD) processes and tools
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.