Discover a world of opportunities. #HumanChemistry
See what chemistry can do for your career: careers.evonik.com
Exploring opportunities. Growing together.
VACANCY REFERENCE NUMBER 121167
Process Engineer II
Location: United States : Birmingham, AL
Career Level: Experienced professionals (2-5 years)
Legal Entity: Evonik Corporation
Business Line: Health Care
What we offer
You will work on exciting and challenging topics together with a team in an ultra-modern, innovative and creative environment. Intensive on-the-job training with expert colleagues guarantees you will quickly become familiar with your duties and perform them independently. Performance related pay and the opportunity for personal and professional development are of course part of the package. Since 2009 Evonik Industries AG has been certified as a family-friendly company by the German Hertie Foundation.
This position leads Biomaterials process development and implementation of activities related to polymer synthesis manufacturing and post synthesis processes on various scales. Authors supporting process documentation (URS, SOP, Change Control, EAF, PSSR, etc.). Provides technical input for the documentation and execution of validation protocols; participates in and supports GMP manufacturing activities and implementation of equipment. Leads CAPEX activities and is the PM or PR as required.
- Contributes to the design, execution, and evaluation of experiments, studies, and development programs to meet project goals and objectives. Project activities include process development and scale up, equipment specification, documentation, validation protocols and execution of cGMP manufacturing operations.
Ensure the proper documentation, review, and analysis of experimental activities, observations, data, and results. Assemble, operate, and train personnel on process equipment.
Lead ESH, risk assessment, RCA, and FMEA activities.
- Follow SOP’s, GMP, and GLP regulations and procedures; generate and maintain thorough and accurate documentation in support of SOP, GMP, and GLP regulated activities.
- Follow safety practices and procedures; use personal protection equipment (PPE) appropriate to the type of hazard and exposure potential.
- Active in identifying opportunities related to the maintenance, calibration, equipment capability, and procedures. Takes corrective action independently and as directed by management.
- Prepare supporting process documentation for scale up projects of varying scope and complexity.
- Interact and communicate effectively with clients on technical aspects of the project as directed by management.
- Propose new opportunities and provide technical support to the development of Intellectual Property.
- Train lab technicians and technical staff. Oversee processing laboratory and technical activities as appropriate.
- Serve as primary author for research reports and summaries for projects of varying scope and complexity.
- Maintain current scientific and engineering knowledge through review of current scientific literature including related scientific fields.
- May contribute to external publications and presentations as directed by management.
- BS in Chemical Engineering or a relevant scientific discipline plus 5 or more years relevant laboratory experience; or, a MS degree in Chemical Engineering or a relevant scientific discipline plus 3 or more years of relevant laboratory experience; and a demonstrated level of performance and capability as determined by management.
- Understanding of basic chemistry and polymer chemistry.
- A demonstrated ability to do the following for research activities of an appropriate scope and complexity:
- Conduct assigned tasks independently with minimal supervision; utilize experience, scientific knowledge, and technical creativity to independently determine and develop processes to meet project goals and objectives and resolve technical challenges; work on multiple activities in parallel and multi-faceted research studies or programs with minimal supervision; independently manage research tasks of suitable scope and complexity.
- Capable of independently developing, implementing, and evaluating new methods, assays, and processes; capable of independently identifying and implementing new technologies and instrumentation of suitable complexity to achieve goals and objectives.
- Capable of independently developing criteria to be used to evaluate whether experimental goals and objectives have been met.
- Knowledge of relevant scientific principles and theories as well as the capability to use and apply standard scientific procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of the scientific principles pertaining to and capable in the operation of standard laboratory, analytical, and/or processing and manufacturing equipment; examples include: Reactor design, extruder design, pumps, agitator, instrumentation, data collection, pilot plant operations, etc.
- Recognize unanticipated or adverse outcomes or deviations; able to use technical expertise, experience, and creativity to evaluate and identify causes of unanticipated or adverse outcomes or deviations and to propose corrective action or resolutions for problems of increasing complexity; able to independently take corrective action to resolve technical problems of suitable complexity.
- General knowledge of several fields across the pharmaceutical product development process, multiple drug delivery technologies, or multiple analytical technologies.
- Knowledge of the use of personal protective equipment and safety protocols and practices related to working with or exposure to hazardous chemicals that could potentially affect the health of the employee.
- Ability to:
- Perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time;
- Sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area;
- Stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area;
- Grasp objects utilizing the fingers (fine motor manipulation);
- Reach for objects above the head or below the waist;
- Stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or by bending the legs;
- Determine colors
- Effective written and verbal communication and organizational skills; ability to clearly and effectively communicate observations, results, and outcomes to more senior technical staff.
- A thorough understanding and application of relevant scientific theories, principles, and methods; familiarity or general working knowledge of other related technical fields and applications.
- Technical skills, knowledge, and creativity to independently propose, develop, implement, and evaluate new methods, assays, and processes for activities of increasing scope and complexity.
- Experience with a variety of standard and novel formulation, processing, analytical, and manufacturing methods, equipment, and instruments.
- Ability to train people and supervise laboratory or technical activities.
- Experience designing and conducting studies based on statistical Design of Experiments principles.
- Capable of independently managing research tasks of appropriate scope and complexity to achieve goals and objectives with consideration to budget and time schedules.
- Actively contribute to the improvement of policy, practices, and procedures.
To ensure the fastest process of your application and to protect the environment, please apply online via our careers portal at https://careers.evonik.com.
VACANCY REFERENCE NUMBER 121167
Evonik Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Please note that Evonik will not accept any unsolicited application documents sent by staffing firms. Evonik works in conjunction with preferred service providers and will not pay any fee to staffing firms in the absence of an appropriate framework agreement. Should Evonik receive a candidate profile from a staffing firm with which it has no framework agreement, and should this candidate subsequently be considered in the recruitment process or offered employment, no claims from the staffing firm will be entertained in this regard.