Why a Great Opportunity
Process Engineer- Melamine
New Orleans, LA (Relocation Provided)
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Individual will be part of a newly-formed Process Technology Team (PTT). The PTT is responsible for providing production/process engineering support for three chemical manufacturing units plus a utilities department. Working closely with the operation’s group, actions are to be identified to reduce usage and energy consumption, improve yields, minimize waste and increase occupancy from a process engineering view while maintaining or improving safety and environmental compliance. Additionally, all work must be vetted prior to implementation to ensure compliance with all environmental and Process Safety Management (PSM) requirements.
The Hiring Company’s facility is just outside of New Orleans, Louisiana. It manufactures high quality Acrylonitrile Hydrogen Cyanide, Melamine, Oleum, Sulfuric Acid, Acrylamide, Methyl Methacrylate, Ammonia and Methacrylic Acid that are used in a variety of everyday applications. They are experts at converting energy into industrial chemicals on a large scale. The facility sits on 800 acres with approximately 460 employees with annual payroll of $ 44 million and annual spend of 350 Million or more making 2.5 billion pounds of annual production.
- Quickly establish working relationships with operations staff and build knowledge of operating unit chemistry and process technology
- Utilization of process automation software to simulate whole and parts of the process; models will then be used to optimize processes and develop new equipment.
- Drive to completion step-wise improvement projects initially assigned; identify new process improvement opportunities once established.
- Identify opportunities for process control improvements and applications for advanced process control applications.
- Design equipment and develop technical scope for retrofits and new equipment additions.
- Use of statistical principles and software to mine, analyze and relate key process data & variables.
- Perform EVOP and DOE studies to perform lab and plant trials.
- Identify needs for new or updated instrumentation or process analyzers.
- Formulate PFD’s and Material/Energy Balances as needed.
- Develop & recommend changes to operating procedures as needed for plant trials or changes in operating conditions/targets; provide operator training and unit coverage as necessary.
- Provide project updates to the PTT, plant management and operations.
- Support the professional development of junior engineers through mentorship and coaching.
- Provide process engineering expertise in RCA, PHA, MOC and PSM activities.
- Possess high-energy leadership and ability to drive initiatives to completion.
- Successful implementation of process improvement projects and ideas.
- Must be a critical thinker and problem solver with the ability to innovate with exceptional focus on improving costs.
- Ability to effectively communicate to technical staff and front-line workers.
- Successful employment of statistical methods towards process improvements.
- Use of financial analysis to drive decision making.
- BS in Chemical Engineering or related degree.
- 10+ years of related experience in a chemical, petrochemical or petroleum production/refining facility.
- Expertise in statistical principles and tools.
- Expertise in Aspen and Hysis automation software.
- Knowledge of current chemical engineering technology.
- Training in lean concepts and six sigma principles.
- Knowledge of DeltaV DCS platform and PI historian.
- Experience with continuous operations.
- Experience with advanced process control applications and model development.
- Experience in catalysis, especially fluidized bed reactors.
- MS in Chemical Engineering.
- Experience in acrylonitrile, melamine or urea chemistries a plus.