GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The Process Engineer (PE) is responsible for the manufacturing definition and PE related activities within the program / value stream through its lifecycle. The PE is part of a the multi-functional Integrated Product Team (IPT) team that is deployed into the program / values stream and acts as the primary representative for (PE) at all program / technical reviews & externally (with customer & suppliers).
• Develops quality procedures and inspection plans by reviewing existing systems, blueprints, customer specifications and MIL-SPECS.
• Identifies engineering problems and initiate corrective action to ensure parts are in line with quality standards and production requirements.
• Performs effective root cause and corrective action to escapes and non-compliance reports using various quality tools.
• Determines gauging and test equipment requirements.
• Communicates with manufacturing personnel to gain input during development.
• Conducts special quality studies to determine process capability, and reduce quality losses.
• Establishes and maintains a continuing program for identifying, controlling and minimizing quality costs, i.e., scrap rework, appraisal cost.
• Presents quality information (yields, trends) to appropriate functions to provide a basis for effective and efficient control of quality and the required corrective action.
• Acts as primary interface with customers, suppliers, and government officials.
• Delivery of a manufacturing system that fulfils all stakeholder requirements including;
• Quality, Health & Safety, design, producibility, business case etc.
• Product development
• Support Integrated Product Teams on their technical reviews (internal & external) as required; Accountable for composite ply development; composite assembly involving metal bond, sheet metal details, other metallic or carbon fiber riveting and threaded fasteners; first article and configuration changes; tooling changes; monitoring of tools requiring repair or replacement; and new product quotes. In addition: provides direct support to production operation in areas such as changes to B.O.M., interpretation of prints to ensure ply orientation and contour and specialized assembly issues.
• Controls the transition of new tools from design through change control to verify correctness of tools and production parts.
• Bachelor’s degree required OR in lieu of degree, High school diploma/equivalent and 5 years’ engineering experience in a manufacturing environment (aerospace and/or composite materials strongly preferred) may be considered
• 3 months of work experience in the manufacture of composite/metallic/carbon/fiber products or tooling OR at least one complete course from an accredited university on the manufacture of composite/metallic/carbon/fiber products or tooling
• U.S. Person per ITAR regulations to comply with export compliance.
• Two (2) or more years of work experience in a technical related field is strongly preferred.
• Manufacturing standards, process control techniques, developmental test equipment including SPC, gauging and instrumentation.
• GKN experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication – able to effectively create working relationships with internal and external customer.
• Must demonstrate ability to manage projects, creating, executing and reporting project work plans.
• Practical problem solving/8D and other root cause tools.
• Professional fluency with personal computer hardware and software applications (Word, Excel, etc.).
• AutoCAD or simulation experience. CATIA model review preferred.
• Assessing risk in manufacturing processes (FMEA/PFMEA). Design for manufacturing experience.
• ASQ CQE/CQA
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Alexander City