We are working with an organic food manufacturer outside of Boston, MA that is looking for a Project Engineer. This role is responsible for providing plant engineering support, implementation of services and facilities support for manufacturing processes and equipment. Engineering services may include equipment specification, process design, equipment and process development/improvements in support of projects. This position will lead small, medium and large projects to deliver the business needs using sound project management knowledge and tools, and full cooperation of the manufacturing facility.
- Define the business requirements: capacity needs over time, capacity available, R&D requirements in terms of raw materials, processes and possibilities for the future expansion. Ensure that the business needs are well validated by a cross-section of the business.
- Translate the business needs into process/packaging equipment requirements: Ensure that the design captures the best practices available in the industry. Constantly seek improvement through benchmarking, expert’s advice and transfer of best practices. Use the company network to gain access to the experts. Guarantee that the design is in compliance with the site master plan and with the company’s product strategic plan.
- Organize and carry out all necessary trials and tests to ensure project success with production, suppliers and R&D.
- Prepare the supplier selection bid package, request for quotation, work with corporate purchasing to manage the supplier selection process.
- Follow the internal capital approval request procedures regarding approval, purchase orders, and review variances actual vs. budget throughout the project, forecast and report cash flow and variance. Manage any changes using documented change orders.
- Ensure good quality planning, risk analysis, budget, resource identification, and layout studies are complete and accurate.
- Use all best methodologies of project management: Frequent Project meetings with minutes and action lists; Communication within the company about project content and progress. Involve plant resources from the early phases as future customers in quality, safety, production and maintenance. Show a customer service-oriented mindset in executing projects.
- Ensure that the following milestones are respected throughout the project: provisional acceptance, I/O check-out, equipment site acceptance test, electrical test, water test, commissioning, final acceptance.
- Follow the execution of the project and ensure the coordination between projects, suppliers, manufacturing, and the business. Safety and Quality are the key priorities. Scope, Deliverables, Timeline and Budget are always to be respected.
- Measure project progress at start-up using a punch-list to ensure maximum supplier accountability.
- Leads proactive problem-solving efforts for manufacturing processes. Troubleshoots and resolves process equipment issues, diagnoses technical problems and determines short-term and long-term solutions.
- Conducts plant floor walk-throughs and/or participates on teams that focus on continuous improvement within the manufacturing area. Expected to participate in decisions that arise from engineering projects and/or manufacturing, teams.
- Strictly comply to current PMO and FDA regulations as well as all OSHA regulations in force.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekend, holidays, or late shifts
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with minimum of 5 years of project management experience in a manufacturing engineering environment.
- Ability to work with clients, vendors, and other team members at all levels.
- Ability to visually present and communicate project status, risk and break downs to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Project Management process, tools, and tasks associated with preparation and execution of capital projects.
- Excellent communication skills to be able to efficiently communicate orally and educate through presentation and fluently utilize a variety of mediums to communicate through the written word.
- Must be proactive and professional and able to take direction effectively.
- Advanced computer competency with Word, Excel, Microsoft Project, Visio, and Auto CAD
- General understanding of Automation systems, and how they function, as well as hardware and resource time required to fully engineer and build a system.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines within specified time constraints.
- Ability to operate in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt in a changing work environment
Mechanical Project Engineer