Process Safety Engineer – Nutrien Distribution Terminals (Loveland, Colorado, U.S.A.)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
This role will report to the Director, Terminals.
What you will do:
- Oversee PSM and RMP programs for multiple Nutrien Distribution facilities (US) and provide process engineering expertise to ensure personnel safety, environmental stewardship and regulatory compliance at those facilities
- Track site KPIs to drive continual improvement of process safety and risk mitigation. Continually monitor the status of PSM/RMP program elements to ensure improvement, including identifying areas where additional support and/or training is needed
- Compile process safety information (PSI) as needed to support process safety, management of change, personnel training, risk assessments, emergency response activities, and regulatory requirements
- Participate and assist with the facilitation of process hazard analyses (PHAs) and safety integrity level determination (SILD) studies
- Review and approve project designs as part of the management of change process (including participating in project design review meetings, as needed)
- Provide guidance and oversight of pre-startup safety reviews
- Participate in and/or lead incident investigations related to PSM/RMP-covered processes. Ensure that root causes are properly identified and appropriately addressed
- Oversee the development of necessary corrective/preventive actions (CAPAs) and track them to completion
- Review site emergency response plans and provide recommendations for improvement, as needed
- Participate in PSM/RMP compliance audits, oversee the development of post-audit corrective/preventive actions, and track them to completion
- Provide PSM/RMP training to site personnel and mentor new engineers and employees in the fundamentals of process safety and risk mitigation
- Assist with the development and analysis of RMP worst-case/alternative-case scenarios
- Be familiar with and lead Operational Risk Management (ORM) identification and mitigation
- Provide technical support to engineers, operations, and maintenance staff to ensure PSM/RMP process equipment is designed, maintained, changed, operated, and decommissioned in a responsible manner that complies with industry recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices (RAGAGEPs)
- Assist with the development and review of inspection, testing and preventive maintenance (ITPM) plans for mechanical, electrical, and instrumentation and controls equipment
- Work closely with all disciplines to identify opportunities for improvement and ensure plant processes are aligned to provide maximum output levels and efficiencies
- Complete special projects as needed and any other tasks assigned to support personnel safety, business continuity and growth
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical, mechanical, or industrial engineering, or equivalent background and experience
- 5+ years in an industrial processing environment
- A specific background or knowledge of chemical processing, with anhydrous ammonia experience preferred
- Experience with robust process safety management and risk management plan programs preferred
- Experience with SAP, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, and PHA Pro software preferred
- Ability to work in a Safety First, drug free work environment - required to pass the Drug & Alcohol Testing
- Respect for individual diversity and eagerness to collaborate, assist, and approach challenges with a determined attitude to succeed together
- Expertise in chemical process safety management (29 CFR 1910.119) and risk management plan programs (40 CFR 68)
- Demonstrated analytical and troubleshooting skills that can be applied to equipment systems and program development/improvement opportunities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a team context with excellent time management and organization skills
- Ability to travel around 50% of the time
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran