Academia.edu is hiring a Product Data Analyst
Despite several companies laying off workers due to the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, Academia.edu in San Francisco is still growing rapidly and is profitable. We’re looking for a talented Product Data Analyst to help us achieve this mission.
Life is short - do something that matters!
Join a company where your work changes the world for the better. As a Product Data Analyst on our Data Science Team, you will play an important role in decisions to improve our products and company by analyzing our massive data to derive insights and present them to the decision-makers.
Our mission is to accelerate the world's research. This increases the velocity of scientific achievement in every field, resulting in a positive social impact on humanity. Our open-access platform for the online publishing and distribution of all scientific research papers is free. This platform also provides the means for professors, scientists, and researchers to collaborate on their fields of interest in real time. Our business model is a premium subscription service.
We are proud to share that we have over 125 Million registered users and that's growing by 3-4 Million a month in addition to having 20M monthly active users. We are a small team of ~54 employees with ~30 engineers. Our current plans call for us to launch several new products and still be self-sufficient and profitable this year! All this during some of the most challenging times in the past 100 years!
What you will do:
As a Product Data Analyst, and part of the Data Science team, you will:
• Interface daily with Academia’s Product Management team, Leadership and Executives.
• Be responsible for building the PM team’s analytical skills and tackle many of the most challenging data analysis questions yourself.
• Use data and analytics to routinely answer questions on user behavior and the results of product tests.
• Routinely monitor product, financial, and user metrics for trends, changes, and unexpected behavior; work with the PM team to evaluate which metrics should be monitored.
• Create reports to reflect various changes in business metrics e.g. traffic, sign-ups, upgrades, retention/churn, feature usage, email CTRs, etc. and present them to various members of the company as needed.
• Translate metrics, investigations, and findings into likely business outcomes.
• Independently design an accurate and consistent framework for answering analytics questions.
• Suggest new business and product opportunities based on data insights.
• Proactively identify ways to improve day-to-day responsibilities, such as optimizing database structure, implementing report automation, researching the use of better analytics tools, etc.
• Communicate business requirements to the rest of the Data Science team to enable new analyses.
• Bachelors and/or Masters in Math, Statistics, or related quantitative field
• 2-5 years of relevant experience doing product and business analytics for very large scale datasets.
• Excellent SQL skills are a must.
• Programming skills with one or more of these languages R, Python, SAS... and the willingness and ability to learn new languages and tools as needed.
• Extensive experience querying large, complex data sets & proven ability to derive and present insights from multiple imperfect, varied, and inconsistent data sources using a scientific approach
• Experience with descriptive statistics and A/B testing approaches
• Expertise in creating spreadsheets of your findings and the presentation skills to share them in a coherent format with all stakeholders i.e. engineering, product, and company leadership teams.
• Detail-oriented with superior organizational skills; able to define stakeholder requests into projects and navigate between multiple projects, meet deadlines, and process ad hoc report requests from PMs, Leadership and Engineering as needed.
• Curious, resourceful, collaborative, communicative, and autonomous
• Positive and team-oriented "can-do" attitude
• Experience with the following (or comparable) tools is a plus: Redshift, our primary data warehouse technology; Periscope, our primary dashboarding tool; R or Python.
• Expertise in data wrangling, ETL and data mining techniques a plus.
• Statistical modeling (regression analysis, ANOVA) a plus.
Benefits & perks:
• Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary, stock options, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & DCA, & a 401k.
• Health & Self-Care: Paid medical, dental, & vision insurance for employees & their dependents.
• Flexible sick days, flexible hours, four weeks paid vacation, eleven company holidays, and paid parental leave.
• New Mac laptops with the accessories needed to maximize productivity and standing desks.
• Convenience & Location: Catered lunches served daily, snacks & drinks. On-site showers & bike storage. The office is located just a short walk to public transportation.
• Learning & Development: Budget for professional development, team building, and events. Free books.
• Fun & Activities: Chess, foosball, piano, guitar, board games, juggling. A Company retreat every summer. Weekly Bootcamp with our personal trainer.
• Paid Sabbatical: Six weeks of fully-paid sabbatical leave for every four years you work here.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.