Engineer III, Product Development
- Job Description
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Product Design Engineer is part of the Research & Development team within the Laboratory Products Division (LPD) which supports a collaborative culture to deliver the lab consumables that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals – quickly, reliably and safely. This role will reside in Petaluma, CA.
How will you make an impact?
Your ideas will bring new products to life as you collaborate with other design engineers, process development engineers, product managers and project leaders to develop plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
Make an impact for your career, our customers and the world with this exciting opportunity for a talented engineer. Collaborate with others like you to drive innovation, implement new design technology and develop best engineering practices in a growing organization.
What will you do?
- Develop plastic labware products from concept to launch.
- Lead design activities in cross-functional project teams and present at technical design reviews. Responsibility for design control activities including but not limited to: developing product design traceability matrix, product design verification activities, dFMEA /pFMEA, risk assessments and related.
- Create SolidWorks solid models and drawings that achieve design requirements using best design practices and industry design standards.
- Complete tolerance stack-up analysis and design simulation activities.
- Augment best practice engineering design standards and documentation of standard work.
- Seek out new technologies and extract value for our products and manufacturing processes.
- Increase R&D visibility within the division and reinforce the positive reputation of the team by timely, reliable and deliberate performance within budget.
- Perform all job duties in a safe manner and obey all safety policies and procedures
- Perform all job duties consistent with the Code of Ethics and the 4-I Values
- Perform all job duties within ISO standards, regulatory or statutory requirements
- Drive Continuous Improvement initiatives and support all PPI, and Lean projects
- Perform other duties and cross training as assigned
How will you get here?
- Minimum B.S. Mechanical Engineering or related field with minimum 5 years product design experience. Plastic component design experience preferred.
- Extensive experience with mechanical drafting standards and solid modeling is required. SolidWorks is preferred.
- Experience with tolerance analysis of mechanical assemblies.
- Demonstrated ability to apply problem solving and data analysis methods.
- Experience with mold tooling design practices, standards and manufacturing methods is a plus.
- Experience with plastic materials and plastic processing is a plus.
- Demonstrated technical leadership in a cross functional team environment
- Previous experience with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), ISO standards and Lean Manufacturing concepts desired. ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Creative, innovative and critical thinking
- Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
- Responsive, results oriented and task driven
- Seeks out collaboration opportunities
- Effective oral, written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent PC skills with proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), SolidWorks
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally (up to 10% of the time)
- Ability to alternate between standing, walking, and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.