The Product Development Manager will be responsible for managing new customer and product development projects from concept to commercialization. This role requires excellent technical knowledge of flexible packaging including films, converting, lamination, pouching and packaging techniques.
The Product Development Manager, will assist sales by meeting onsite and working closely with customers to ensure project timelines and product requirements are met.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Professional project management skills for effective and successful onboarding of new business.
- Utilization of a stage gate process and/or other professional project management tools.
- Excellent customer responsiveness, communication and results.
- Maintain compliance with project management and onboarding processes of new clients
- Understands to, praise in public, and privately raise issues with department heads.
- Overseeing and maintaining the product specifications for all products produced in the company.
- Establishing process controls, process capability and process parameters for new products.
- Through engagement with the sales and marketing team, establish new product and technology development projects
- Support sales by serving as technical liaison to CPG, regional and private-label accounts
- Assist sales with customer projects/ issues, including issues at third-party manufacturers/co-packers
- Attend first-run customer approvals of new designs, including interaction with customer representatives
- Recommend new equipment or testing methods to improve efficiencies and quality procedures
- Recommend process adjustments on existing equipment and evaluate/qualify new raw materials
Qualifications: Bachelor of Science degree
- 5-10 years of work in product development, specifically in flexible packaging
- Prior experience with flexographic printing strongly preferred
- Prior experience with extrusion lamination preferred
- 5-7 years’ in Technical/ Development
- 1. Responsible for leading the company’s product development process, including the Stage-Gate process.
- 2. Enhance existing products and develop new items in conjunction with the Customer Service and Growth Team’s goals, consider cost, time, functionality and manufacturability.
- 3. Visit new and existing customers as required to understand requirements in the development of additional business.
- 4. Stay up-to-date on industry trends and technology, leading to new or additional business.
- 5. Meet regularly with material suppliers offering new products and technology.
- 6. Oversee the testing and qualification of new materials.
- 7. Provide technical product support for new and existing products to the Manufacturing, Purchasing and Quality teams.
- 8. Build and maintain product data sheets for all structures.
- 9. Create and approve bill of materials and routings as required.10. Responsible for developing new test methods to ensure products meet customer requirements.
- 11. Train required employees on proper use of test equipment and procedures.
- 12. Instruct and guide employee needs, giving feedback on the performance of their work.
- 13. Oversee and establish team policies/procedures connected to company objectives.
- 14. Schedule, lead and facilitate team meetings, improvement project and process efforts.