Act as product category expert to recommend and manage inventory to meet local market needs. Through proactive management, ensure an appropriate breadth and depth of selection within the customer’s and organization’s fill rate and financial performance expectations is consistently attained. Purchase and manage inventory levels, while coordinating all related needs across sales, material management, marketing, & accounts payable. Develop relationships with vendor partners, coordinating internally to resolve any vendor needs. Perform consistently against established goals, metrics, within defined policy & procedures.
Essential Job Functions & Physical Demands
Through previous background and experience, the candidate must be able to demonstrate, with or without an accommodation, the ability to:
- Seek avenues to improve the quality and available inventory to meet or exceed fill rate goals.
- Proactively manage the system settings so inventory consistently meets key financial performance metrics, such as but not limited to: turns, GMROI, days of inventory on hand, & percent in obsolete/slow moving reserve
- Daily review & purchase per system suggested orders, confirming days on hand, prior 30 days sales, and backordered items, 90-day forecasts, within current process and limits of authority.
- Document approvals for purchase orders exceeding personal limit of authority per current approval matrix.
- Support sales team on requests for price & availability, cross referencing product to direct business to our primary stocking vendors, provide vendor shipping status or tracking.
- Coordinate ship dates & open purchases with vendor, maintaining system dates per vendor shipping notifications
- Coordinate incoming shipments with receiving department to ensure ample space is available, follow up on orders delivered that have not been system received within 48 hours of delivery.
- Support research & resolution of delayed or damaged shipments, freight claims, and unauthorized vendor freight charges with designated warehouse staff per current process
- Research & resolve open past due vendor invoices with accounts payable as needed
- Collaborate with and support efforts of Returns Coordinator to review obsolete/slow moving reserve inventory
- Review all new item & vendor requests with Purchasing Manager to support corporate vendor partner strategy while balancing financial impact of new investment
- Support vendor item cost & terms negotiations with vendor partner at the direction of Purchasing Manager
- Coordinate all needed vendor and internal processes to request price protection when costs decrease, adhering to all vendor specific guidelines.
- Calculate freight on all inbound orders and update PO’s to increase cost of goods sold per current process.
- Validate cost updates from product file team with each vendor’s published price increases, communicating with pricing & product file teams.
- Act as single point of contact to coordinate needs for sales team on pricing, product file, accounts payable, and warehouse/logistic teams as needed.
- Participate in and/or conduct monthly inventory calls for Sales & Purchasing manager providing updates to forecasts against available and on order inventory.
- Monitor purchases in advance of quarterly/annual volume rebate targets to maximize payout with approval from Purchasing Manager if it requires additional purchases beyond recommended system suggested order amounts.
- Proactively engage in ongoing personal development to ensure product, system/digital tools, and interpersonal communication skills are meeting expectations of current role
- Provide back up support to purchasing team as directed by Purchasing Manager
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Basic Excel, Outlook, Wordproficiency required
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and with little supervision
- Must demonstrate good time management skills planning, organization & execution skills to perform within deadlines
- Must possess excellent customer service skills
- Must demonstrate ownership of assigned responsibilities and ability to get the job done correctly in a timely manner
- Must possess a proactive and positive team approach to problem resolution
- Must have the ability to establish strong working relationships with co-workers and management
- Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Electrical, Industrial and/or distribution experience preferred but not required
- Bachelor's degree (B.A or B.S.) from a 4-year college or University; or
- 2-5years' of product sales, purchasing, and/or inventory management required
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.