VTech believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties; qualification and job scope, but not limit the incumbent or the organization to only the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
The Product Specialist is vital to the success of the Product Development team. He/she is responsible for providing day-to-day organizational and administrative support and driving key product development tasks for the US and overseas offices. The Product Specialist keeps the PD team on task, on time, and on top of our game. We are a small group that manages a huge business, so we need an ultra-organized go-getter with a keen attention to detail and great written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate is someone who anticipates problems and comes up with creative solutions to keep projects on track. Under the direction of both the Director of Product Development and Brand and Senior Brand Managers, this position touches all parts of our business to ensure maximum efficiency and support to the organization.
RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS):
- Maintain all updates to ongoing product reference materials, including the product Line List, Sales Roadmaps and product slides, ensuring changes are communicated in a timely manner to all teams.
- Manage coordination of product samples for a variety of needs, and track their whereabouts for major company retail and media events.
- Oversee product sample schedules from Hong Kong, communicating changes to Hong Kong and notifying Product Managers of any issues that arise.
- Update and generate PD Project Schedules on a weekly basis.
- Generate and format weekly, monthly and yearly NPD market data in Excel.
- Assist at times as contributor in reviewing NPD market data, sales data, and preparing support documents based on this information.
- Assist PD department in running ad hoc NPD reports, when necessary.
- Purchase retail samples as requested by US Product Development and/or Hong Kong team.
- Oversee the Plush License process by renewing registrations, file plush vendors with participating US states, and manage internal reporting.
- Assist in compilation, review and editing PowerPoint presentations, when necessary.
- Issue Hong Kong Project List on a monthly basis to Hong Kong teams and EU colleagues.
- Manage various product database requests.
- Manage and organize the Product Development Lab.
- Aid Product Development team in all technical delivery aspects of project downloading files, burning DVDs, programs, and other devices.
- Review online consumer feedback about products, prepare documents to report findings.
- Provide reporting to PD team regarding post-launch consumer feedback; concentrate on positives/negatives for Product Managers to provide to Hong Kong for product improvements.
- Support Product Managers and Assistant Product Managers in overflow of product development tasks as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous, collaborative and professional manner
- Exercise sound business judgment
- Conform and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions
- Conform with all safety rules and use all appropriate safety equipment
- Other duties as needed or required
- Proficient with MS Office programs including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel; deep understanding of Excel preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills with emphasis on attention to detail and efficiency.
- Ability to clearly communicate with internal teams and overseas colleagues (including non-native English speakers); strong written and verbal skills required.
- Capacity to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the company including top management and tailor communications accordingly.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks independently and thrive in a fast paced environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Quick learner who is flexible, takes initiative and is adaptable in an ever-changing environment.
- Effective listening and relationship-building skills.
- 3 years of progressively responsible experience in the area of Administrative Assistant or Project Management
- Bachelor's degree or any combination of experience and education that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and ability to perform assigned tasks
The individual in this position must possess the following job competencies:
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
- Initiative: Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
- Productivity: Manages a fair workload, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, handles information flow.
- Teamwork: Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.
- Rules of Engagement: Actively demonstrates behaviors established in the Rules of Engagement to 1) Set Common Goals and Clearly Define Priorities, 2) Make Timely and Appropriate Decisions, 3) Communicate Openly, 4) Challenge Issues Constructively, 5) Be Accountable, and 6) Be a Team Player.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Duties are primarily performed in an office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Mental activities required by this job include constant decision making, discretion, problem analysis and resolution, independent judgment and independent action. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee must read, speak, write and understand the English language. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and use their hands to handle and grasp, reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds 50 pounds if travel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus with or without the use of prescription eyeglasses.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday. Core hours will be set between employee and manager and will be based on business needs. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected 5% of the time.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The responsibilities and expectations outlined in this position description are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, with or without notice.